Diatoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jmartin71 said:
Is it ok to take the rock and decorations out to wash them?

Do only 1 or 2 per pwc, and rinse them in tank water...not tap water. I did a couple yesterday and basically rubbed them together in the bucket. They came pretty clean. If you do all at once you may cause a mini cycle.

eco23 said:
Do only 1 or 2 per pwc, and rinse them in tank water...not tap water. I did a couple yesterday and basically rubbed them together in the bucket. They came pretty clean. If you do all at once you may cause a mini cycle.

Ok I have to figure out how to get water out into a bucket. I have one of the siphons that hooks to my sink. Also should I keep to my weekly 25% pwc's or should I be doing more, more often!

jmartin71 said:
Ok I have to figure out how to get water out into a bucket. I have one of the siphons that hooks to my sink. Also should I keep to my weekly 25% pwc's or should I be doing more, more often!

I have a Python as well as a normal short syphon. I suppose you could be draining with the Python, turn off the water, disconnect from the sink and empty the water from the hose. Or, while it's full...you could create a syphon with your mouth to get it flowing.

There's probably a better way... that's just the first thing that came to mind.

jmartin71 said:
Is it ok to take the rock and decorations out to wash them?

Get some Algae eating shrimp (Amano?), I got 2 yesterday and the jave fern coated with brown algae I transfered from another tank was picked clean in about 18hrs by a pair of them. If I knew my Moors wouldn't treat them like hor' derves, I'd add them to that DT since it's covered in them (3 weeks & counting on diatoms).

Mr. Limpet said:
Get some Algae eating shrimp (Amano?), I got 2 yesterday and the jave fern coated with brown algae I transfered from another tank was picked clean in about 18hrs by a pair of them. If I knew my Moors wouldn't treat them like hor' derves, I'd add them to that DT since it's covered in them (3 weeks & counting on diatoms).

Do you know anything about RCS? I looked at the Amano (which I've heard are the best at algae eating), but I'm picking up a dozen red cherries tomorrow. Hopping they'll be reasonably efficient compared to the Amano. I'm also picking up 6-7 Otos.

I've never heard of this my tank doesn't have this problem, but a friend of mine her tank does, so diatoms means brown algae? It's a normal stage? Starting usually when?

Tasha said:
I've never heard of this my tank doesn't have this problem, but a friend of mine her tank does, so diatoms means brown algae? It's a normal stage? Starting usually when?

Yeah, diatoms = brown algae. Supposedly it's caused by the water conditions at the end of a cycle, mixed with silicates that leech from new substrate and deco.

Drives me crazy to have such a nice freshly cycled tank with brown all over...but I guess it's a small price to pay to have a piece of nature in a glass box in my room, lol.

I have that in my tank! I noticed it about a week ago. It's so gross! I'm still doing PWC because I'm still not finished cycling so I just kind of washed the plants and stuff off in the tank water during a PWC. I'm glad to hear it happens at the end of the cycle because maybe that means I'm almost cycled!!!

Do you know anything about RCS? I looked at the Amano (which I've heard are the best at algae eating), but I'm picking up a dozen red cherries tomorrow. Hopping they'll be reasonably efficient compared to the Amano. I'm also picking up 6-7 Otos.

I picked up a pair of those with the AES and saw one going after BA on another plant, but I don't think they're quite as efficient (at least from what I've seen in the past 24hrs). I mean that Java fern shines lol.

I have that in my tank! I noticed it about a week ago. It's so gross! I'm still doing PWC because I'm still not finished cycling so I just kind of washed the plants and stuff off in the tank water during a PWC. I'm glad to hear it happens at the end of the cycle because maybe that means I'm almost cycled!!!

It can happen at anytime if the enviro becomes unbalanced and just because you've had it doesn't mean it won't happen again. Only testing you water will tell you if you're cycled IMO.

It can happen at anytime if the enviro becomes unbalanced and just because you've had it doesn't mean it won't happen again. Only testing you water will tell you if you're cycled IMO.

True. I've been testing like crazy waiting for 0 nitrites! I've been stalled at 0 ammonia and 1ppm nitrites forever! I was hoping the brown gunk was a sign that I was close to cycling!!! :(

angloe1 said:

I also wouldn't go crazy trying to clean anything until the cycle is complete...it's just gonna come back anyway for now. You don't want to rinse off too much bacteria. But yeah, it normally happens towards the end of a cycle, so that's good news. My understanding is that after the normal initial outbreak, it's normally caused by poor water conditions. I think the green algae ends up outcompeting it and that's what basically shuts it down.

angloe1 said:
True. I've been testing like crazy waiting for 0 nitrites! I've been stalled at 0 ammonia and 1ppm nitrites forever! I was hoping the brown gunk was a sign that I was close to cycling!!! :(

Are you cycling with or without fish?

angloe1 said:
With fish. I am new at this and didn't realize you were supposed to go fishless. My tank is about 6 weeks old or so and everyone has been fine for the whole process so far.

Not to go too far off topic, but I'd be curious what type of test kit you're using. API? Could be faulty test strips. Do you
have nitrAtes?

Back
Top Bottom