Diatoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to go too far off topic, but I'd be curious what type of test kit you're using. API? Could be faulty test strips. Do you
have nitrAtes?

It is the API master test kit so it should be accurate. I'm showing some nitrates but still fairly low. Maybe 5ppm or so.

angloe1 said:
Great info. I had read it before. Thanks!! :D

If you can try to snag some seeding material (used filter media, etc...) it might be able to push things over the edge and finish it up. Good luck!

Oh, and like I said before, I wouldn't even worry about the diatoms until you get cycled. Anytime you vacuum or rinse items you're losing some of the bacteria you need.

Hope you don't get the hairy diatoms like I have. I broke the tank apart and did a quadruple water bath for every plant. Basically three tubs of water that I rinse the plants through. 1.)Plants into a tub of water 2.) Rinse in another tub of water. 3) place in another tub of water 4.) empty other two tubs and refill and repeat 3 times. (sprayed the leaves with some h2o2 in a spray bottle briefly at step 2 once. Any algae that remains on the plants after a treatment like this deserves to stay there lol.

Crepe said:
Hope you don't get the hairy diatoms like I have. I broke the tank apart and did a quadruple water bath for every plant. Basically three tubs of water that I rinse the plants through. 1.)Plants into a tub of water 2.) Rinse in another tub of water. 3) place in another tub of water 4.) empty other two tubs and refill and repeat 3 times. (sprayed the leaves with some h2o2 in a spray bottle briefly at step 2 once. Any algae that remains on the plants after a treatment like this deserves to stay there lol.

Now I'm scared, lol. Luckily I had pretty much the same thing happen in a tank I set up years ago, so I'm planning on this going away itself in a few weeks. If all else fails...I'm gonna get so many plants it looks like the rainforest in there to outcompete the algae for nutrients.

eco23 said:
Now I'm scared, lol. Luckily I had pretty much the same thing happen in a tank I set up years ago, so I'm planning on this going away itself in a few weeks. If all else fails...I'm gonna get so many plants it looks like the rainforest in there to outcompete the algae for nutrients.

How long you have been running your tank Eco? I know that it is cycled (I read some of your post before).

When I finished my cycle in my tank, last November, I saw diatoms like in middle of January, lasted like 5 weeks and then drastically got better. But for sure I did not missed any PWC ( weekly) and I brushed the diatoms from my fake plants also every week.

ejaramillo01 said:
How long you have been running your tank Eco? I know that it is cycled (I read some of your post before).

When I finished my cycle in my tank, last November, I saw diatoms like in middle of January, lasted like 5 weeks and then drastically got better. But for sure I did not missed any PWC ( weekly) and I brushed the diatoms from my fake plants also every week.

This ones been up around 2 1/2 months. I've been pulling out 2 plants per pwc and cleaning them in tank water and lightly vacuuming the substrate. I'm hoping my additions tomorrow will help out.

Diatoms just showed up a couple weeks ago. Really, I can just reach my hand in, swish it over things and the diatoms fall away. It'd be a nightmare if they were like traditional algae.

eco23 said:
Diatoms just showed up a couple weeks ago. Really, I can just reach my hand in, swish it over things and the diatoms fall away. It'd be a nightmare if they were like traditional algae.

I heard you and share your pain.... But it's a temporary pain, you will see.

Might be getting better already. I've upped my light and oxygen and it seems to be slowing down. Weird that all the things you consider as things that cause algae are the ones that help control diatoms.

Aargh! Beautiful cycled yank, recently stocked...and diatoms on everything! (except the fish, lol.)

I know this is a normal part of a newer tank. How long before they went away in yours? Any hints to make them go away faster? I actually read using more light and oxygen can help get rid of them, true? Seems like the opposite would work. I'm picking up some RCS on Wednesday, but I know they can't keep up with the......Diatoms!!!

I'm guessing the "Beautiful cycled yank" in your post was a typo or do you guys need work to operate properly :ROFLMAO:

Pete

Thanks to the wonderful auto-correct feature on my iPad...this happens in many more threads than this one, lol. Just picked up the Otos and RCS...they're acclimating right now, we'll see how they do n

Gl with your otos, I like them, but mine didnt do well at all... my corydoras on the other hand are doing amazing. RCS??

Tasha said:
Gl with your otos, I like them, but mine didnt do well at all... my corydoras on the other hand are doing amazing. RCS??

Red cherry shrimp. They are freaking tiny. I actually think neon tetras could swallow one. I got 20, so hopefully they'll be a few survivors. They're still in the bag, but I'm afraid they're about to become food.

right, thanks, maybe there so tiny they wont be seen by your hungry fishies, LOL, Was it mr limpet that said his were eating the diatoms like crazy?? hopefully they'll do their job...

Back
Top Bottom