Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Diatoms (brown algea)

So my tank is a little over a month old and is cycled. I have had a diatom bloom and i cleaned it once off the glass and vacumed the gravel and all. its starting to come back after a little over a week of cleaning it. I know that these blooms are common at the start of a new tank, how long should it last?

Old 11-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once the silicates in the water get used up, it will go away. If you want it gone sooner with less effort, get a Nerite snail or two. They LOVE diatoms and are good clean up crew no matter what. They do lay eggs, but the eggs do not hatch in fresh water.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfur View Post
Once the silicates in the water get used up, it will go away. If you want it gone sooner with less effort, get a Nerite snail or two. They LOVE diatoms and are good clean up crew no matter what. They do lay eggs, but the eggs do not hatch in fresh water.
Is there a test to test my silicates in my tap water?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not sure. I don't think I have ever seen a silicate test, but they probably exist. Might be expensive though.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I am not sure. I don't think I have ever seen a silicate test, but they probably exist. Might be expensive though.
Seachem Laboratories Multitest: Silicate Test Kit
Guess ill make the purchase. What is the silica range suppose to be to hinder diatom growth?
Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Just an FYI for you, I know they are commonly referred to as such in the hobby, but diatoms are not a brown algae. Brown algae (phaeophyta) only occurs in saltwater. Diatoms (Bacillariophyta) occurs in both fresh and saltwater. As stated, they will clear up fairly quickly on their own. Best and cheapest solution is to use RO water.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
+1 to this. Nerite snails are freaking amazing cleaners. I don't know why people don't sing their praises more often. I got three of them and after they cleaned the algae off the back wall of my tank, they moved down to the sand to eat up all the diatoms. Their egg laying can be a bit annoying, but they aren't too unsightly.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Just an FYI for you, I know they are commonly referred to as such in the hobby, but diatoms are not a brown algae. Brown algae (phaeophyta) only occurs in saltwater. Diatoms (Bacillariophyta) occurs in both fresh and saltwater. As stated, they will clear up fairly quickly on their own. Best and cheapest solution is to use RO water.
Ive read about RO water where do you get it? also i thought that RO water would let PH swings happen since there is no minerals or anything in it, i plan on keeping cichlids in a 75 so im realy starting to learn alot more about water.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightTurnClyde View Post
+1 to this. Nerite snails are freaking amazing cleaners. I don't know why people don't sing their praises more often. I got three of them and after they cleaned the algae off the back wall of my tank, they moved down to the sand to eat up all the diatoms. Their egg laying can be a bit annoying, but they aren't too unsightly.

I find they don't clean up that well ... Otos on the other hand are amazing at getting diatoms. They are sensitive to water quality and need an established tank and slow acclimation, but I have constant diatom growth and they clear several square inches a day. In my experience once diatoms appear, the tank is old enough for them, but others say 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trennamw View Post
I find they don't clean up that well ... Otos on the other hand are amazing at getting diatoms. They are sensitive to water quality and need an established tank and slow acclimation, but I have constant diatom growth and they clear several square inches a day. In my experience once diatoms appear, the tank is old enough for them, but others say 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

That's interesting. My experience was the exact opposite. My ottos never seemed to have any effect while the nerites went to work right away. Just goes to show that everyone needs to find what works for their tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
algea, brown, diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com