Diatoms (brown algea)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my tank is a little over a month old and is cycled. I have had a diatom bloom and i cleaned it once off the glass and vacumed the gravel and all. its starting to come back after a little over a week of cleaning it. I know that these blooms are common at the start of a new tank, how long should it last?:fish2:

Once the silicates in the water get used up, it will go away. If you want it gone sooner with less effort, get a Nerite snail or two. They LOVE diatoms and are good clean up crew no matter what. They do lay eggs, but the eggs do not hatch in fresh water.

Once the silicates in the water get used up, it will go away. If you want it gone sooner with less effort, get a Nerite snail or two. They LOVE diatoms and are good clean up crew no matter what. They do lay eggs, but the eggs do not hatch in fresh water.
Is there a test to test my silicates in my tap water?

Just an FYI for you, I know they are commonly referred to as such in the hobby, but diatoms are not a brown algae. Brown algae (phaeophyta) only occurs in saltwater. Diatoms (Bacillariophyta) occurs in both fresh and saltwater. As stated, they will clear up fairly quickly on their own. Best and cheapest solution is to use RO water.

+1 to this. Nerite snails are freaking amazing cleaners. I don't know why people don't sing their praises more often. I got three of them and after they cleaned the algae off the back wall of my tank, they moved down to the sand to eat up all the diatoms. Their egg laying can be a bit annoying, but they aren't too unsightly.

Just an FYI for you, I know they are commonly referred to as such in the hobby, but diatoms are not a brown algae. Brown algae (phaeophyta) only occurs in saltwater. Diatoms (Bacillariophyta) occurs in both fresh and saltwater. As stated, they will clear up fairly quickly on their own. Best and cheapest solution is to use RO water.
Ive read about RO water where do you get it? also i thought that RO water would let PH swings happen since there is no minerals or anything in it, i plan on keeping cichlids in a 75 so im realy starting to learn alot more about water.

+1 to this. Nerite snails are freaking amazing cleaners. I don't know why people don't sing their praises more often. I got three of them and after they cleaned the algae off the back wall of my tank, they moved down to the sand to eat up all the diatoms. Their egg laying can be a bit annoying, but they aren't too unsightly.

I find they don't clean up that well ... Otos on the other hand are amazing at getting diatoms. They are sensitive to water quality and need an established tank and slow acclimation, but I have constant diatom growth and they clear several square inches a day. In my experience once diatoms appear, the tank is old enough for them, but others say 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I find they don't clean up that well ... Otos on the other hand are amazing at getting diatoms. They are sensitive to water quality and need an established tank and slow acclimation, but I have constant diatom growth and they clear several square inches a day. In my experience once diatoms appear, the tank is old enough for them, but others say 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

That's interesting. My experience was the exact opposite. My ottos never seemed to have any effect while the nerites went to work right away. Just goes to show that everyone needs to find what works for their tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom