Diatoms* Getting Very Irritating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright. It's been so long now. I am sick of wiping down my rocks everyday. I removed some rocks that a few members thought could be causing them, and still diatoms. I reduced feedings to once a day, and diatoms keep rapidly coming back. Should I just let my rocks turn brown and wait for them to go away?...which seems like never.

I wonder if this could be caused by rescaping the tank every 11.5 minutes... :wink:

The fact that this has been going on for such a long time, I'd be tempted to think silicates. You have to have quite a supply in that tank. Consider removing all decorations and getting things cleared up. Then add them back one at a time to see if you can get the diatoms to start growing again. This may help you identify the source.

What is your substrate? PFS? Or something else?

I would recommend against cleaning the decorations and glass. That coat of diatoms should eventually exhaust the food supply and die off. By constantly cleaning/scraping the surfaces you might be replenishing the food source.

A BN pleco is an excellent (and not easily intimidated) fish for general cleanup duty. I have one in my 20gallon with some territorial fish (tiger barbs, dwarf gourami) that normally nip/attack/kill new additions and he has done fine. I would recommend purchasing the largest one they have to help against the possible aggresion however (~5" is their average max size). He will gladly go to town on the surfaces and they are beautiful fish (I use that term in its most unique way).

I have Tahitian Moon Sand, but before that I had PFS. I thought only Otos cleaned up brown algae?

Marco how is flow in your tank?

I agree that just leaving them alone should do the trick. Try not doing ANYTHING for a month or so, besides maybe a small water change if you must, and see if that helps. Diatoms need to starve themselves out.

The flow in my tank is good I suppose. I guess I'll leave the algae on the rocks alone, but even the glass? I don't think I can bare seeing my glass all brown.

Another thing about diatoms, is of you try to clean it up, it will last longer because you spread the diatoms around to other parts of the tank, and if there's any silicates in those other areas, they come back just as fast. Otos are the best defense against diatoms, and my preference is 2/10G. They do a wonderful job, and then when the tank starts looking much cleaner, you will then need to suppliment algae wafers for the otos, or they will starve. The fastest ways to rid the diatoms is either get otos, or don't bother the diatoms and they will go away on their own in a few days to a few weeks, depending on the tank.

LOL, wish I knew this earlier! I did try otos once and they were abused immediately so I had to take em out.

I might be a little late chiming in on this one but, I had been having the same problem recently. I finally decided to get some different lighting. I tried pure actinic because I had heard that plants and algae couldn't use that type of light. I got home and tried them but I did not like the color of them (too blue). I took them back and got some 50/50 "reef sun" bulbs. The colors from these bulbs are much better. I also cut back on my feeding a bit and increased my water changes. I can't actually check my nitrate levels at the moment because that particular solution bottle in my test kit broke open and spilled everywhere about two weeks ago. Anyway I did all these changes about a week ago and so far so good. I can not say for sure if any one thing was the one that did the trick. But with a lighting change, more frequent pwc's, and a cut down on feedings, my problems seem to be solved.

jdizzle3id said:
I might be a little late chiming in on this one but, I had been having the same problem recently. I finally decided to get some different lighting. I tried pure actinic because I had heard that plants and algae couldn't use that type of light. I got home and tried them but I did not like the color of them (too blue). I took them back and got some 50/50 "reef sun" bulbs. The colors from these bulbs are much better. I also cut back on my feeding a bit and increased my water changes. I can't actually check my nitrate levels at the moment because that particular solution bottle in my test kit broke open and spilled everywhere about two weeks ago. Anyway I did all these changes about a week ago and so far so good. I can not say for sure if any one thing was the one that did the trick. But with a lighting change, more frequent pwc's, and a cut down on feedings, my problems seem to be solved.

jdizzle3id,

Despite the name in the topic diatoms are not algae and do not benefit from light, nor typical "food" that both plants and algae consume (ammonia). They feed off silicates which are present in many tank decorations/substrate/filters/glass/etc. All tanks in their early days will have a diatom outbreak, most will go away in a couple weeks/months without any treatment (they exhaust their food supply and simply die off). This case is a bit different since its possible an external supply is being introduced (say the water), or the decorations in the tank have so much that they are not quickly used up.

Your methods of lowering the light level, decreased feedings, and increased PWC's will not benefit a diatom outbreak. They are, however, exactly what should be done to curb algae issues (once fert dosing is solved).

So this is about 1.5 weeks of no cleaning. It is just gross and unbearable. The glass has brown all over it, as do the filter intake and plants.

img_815506_0_398c692ac6b4124439f50fbacc46973a.jpg

Those are some beautiful fish (looks like saltwater!). Do you know exactly what the stones are made from? I'm wondering if they are the cause of the diatoms (ie stones leeching off silicates). Because your glass should not continue to have diatoms if left to consume those on the surface. They will however stay on the glass if they are being supplied from another source (ie the stones).

The stones specifically are bluestone, which I think is from limestone.

And thanks, I love my cichlids :)

*Should I just take everything but the rocks out and see if the diatoms come back?

That is a beautiful tank. Love the sand, is it moon sand?

Sorry I can't offer much help for diatoms - battling that myself.

Been 2 or 3 weeks ( I am losing track) of not touching anything at all, except the glass. What the heck should I be looking for, because everything looks exactly the way it did 3 weeks ago.

I took a rock out to see the difference in the "diatomed" portion of rock and the non...

img_817065_0_9001ced5687c4e79480672ab466db14c.jpg

Even the zebra is amazed.

The BN solution is working great. I now have two in my 150G Hap/Peacock tank and one in the 75G Mbuna/Peacock tank. They are showing no signs of abuse from my numerous 3-4" African Cichlids. Both tanks are virtually free of Brown Algae. The only place I see it is deep in the thick parts of the plastic plants where the BN can't get at it. So every month, I clean them with bleach. I only have a few plants; I have mostly smooth river rock decor. Before the BN, I used to turn over the rocks every few days to kill off the diatoms. It appears that just a couple days of no light (bottom side of rock) kills off the stuff.

Like I said on an earlier post, I tried the increased lighting, I do 50% weekly water changes on both tanks, and after a year and a half I still have it. The BN is the only solution that works for me.

Marconis said:
I have Tahitian Moon Sand, but before that I had PFS. I thought only Otos cleaned up brown algae?

Not true, other species will clean it as well. Otos are just some of the more diligent ones for this particular problem.

I tried to get used to it, as I guess I was accepting the fact it looked natural. But I caved. My brother and friends kept saying "Why is your tank so dirty".

img_819179_0_9697880673775ca3ecd4c76c612e233a.jpg

img_819179_1_f4bf31abf636b8e47c33066cc873727a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom