Diatoms* Getting Very Irritating.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marconis,

I just did some research on your bluestone and found this link:

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005NE/finalprogram/abstract_82929.htm

It says that there are only trace amounts of magnesium silicates so *hopefully* in time they will go away. The problem I see is if the rocks slowly break down from a weak acid (say if your injecting CO2). Then you will always have a small supply of silicates in the water. Right now I think you're in for an extended waiting game to hopefully deplete the surface of the silicates. I'd stay off the rocks for fear of introducing new silicates through abrasion.

vfc said:
Before the BN, I used to turn over the rocks every few days to kill off the diatoms. It appears that just a couple days of no light (bottom side of rock) kills off the stuff.

Most likely it was due to low oxygen (or toxin build up). Diatoms don't use light, only silicates. That's why you'll find them on the inside of your filter, they love high flow (high oxygen) and darkness.

I just took them out completely and put in my big resin rock. If they don't return, I'll know it was the stone.

7Enigma,
The lack of light does clear them up. It's not lack of oxygen. I have thin flat rocks I use for cave roofs. Water passes freely under them. When I turn then over, the diatoms were completely gone. Same with the rocks leaning upright on other rocks. The shady side always cleared up the diatoms.

In my 75G, I do not have any real rocks; just gravel, two large driftwood, plastic and a few real plants, and two resin objects (hollow rock & hollow root/stump). The amount of diatoms in that tank were no different than the 150G with a stack of real landscaping rocks. The 150G has no driftwood. The only thing in comman is the water.

BTW - The BN are doing fine; diatoms gone; tanks objects look like they are brand new.

Marconis, stop wasting time and just try one. Your problem will be solved.

Yeah all of my rocks were free of diatoms where no light hit them. That's why I don't understand the concept of less light=more diatoms.

i know this is not a solution but maybe some ottos might help your problem be less?

I know that phosphates in the water can also be also spur the growth of diatoms. This can come straight from your tap water. Some areas are worse than others. There are products on the market that can absorb the phosphates, pads that you can cut and place in your filter and large granules can be placed in the filter to absorb. My opinion though is don't use the Nitraban as this buffers pH artificially while the other types won't. Good luck and I am really sorry for your troubles!

I haven't chimed in as of yet since I haven't been able to offer anything not already suggested. I think I would have done as you have done and cleaned them off and put in the resin stone. Good luck.

i know this is not a solution but maybe some ottos might help your problem be less?

He has tried otos and they were beaten up by the cichlids so otos are not an option.

Been about a week since I put the resin rock in. Still diatoms. It took them a lot longer to come back than before, but they are still back!

Would you mind me asking what kind of substrate you're using Marconis?

I've been looking for a dark substrate that will do well with plants.

Thanks!

Were you ever able to clear up your problem? I am having a situation with my tank and thought perhaps what I am seeing is diatoms as well. I am not sure which way to turn.

wow...so sorry to hear that! I posted pics of some of my plants to try to get an identification of whatever was growing on it. What ever it is/was didn't quite fit any descriptions. I just finished doing an extensive clean on the tank. If mine starts to grow back I am going to try the 5 day black-out. I am monitoring my water chem. levels of course. I think that sometimes it's trial and error here. Each of our tanks is unique. Maybe a black out "shouldn't" clear my tank but I am going to try each step. I think from the posts that you have done the same. I was hoping to hear that you had better luck then in the beginning and were just kicking back enjoying the tank! I hope that it clears up soon!!

Marconis, just out of curiosity, are you adding any salts to the tank, specifically table salt with Calcium Silicates as an anti caking agent, or is there a water treatment filter of any kind hooked up in your house that adds any type of silicates to the water?

Nope, not adding any salts. I don't think I have any water treatment in my house? Just those things on the tips of the faucet, but what do I know.

Back
Top Bottom