Diatoms -- how to handle ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have lots of difficult to remove green spots on the wall of my tank .
I recently moved and by the time, it took for me to install blinds in my new home, diatoms buildup took place as the tank was exposed to sunlight

This describes what I have :
"
If those green spots seem very difficult to remove, then yes, they are Diatom or Radiolaria colonies. Diatoms and Radiolaria are colonial one-celled animals that have a hard shell composed primarily of calcium and silica. These critters adhere to what they grow on and are difficult to remove. Algae grows on the shells of the colony, forming the green spots you see.
"
(from http://www.aquariumpros.com/faqpro/algae_1.shtml#05200010)

What do I do to get rid of them ??

My brown diatoms are quickly being eaten by Oto's. They love it.

You could try a silica remover. Never had personal experience with that though but it was suggested to me to solve my diatom problem. I went the fish route.

For clarification....are you talking about green spot algae, or brown diatoms? Brown diatoms are usually not light sensitive and can grow in any light condition. They come from a upset in the bacteria in a tank, like right after a move.

Green spot alage forms in harder water and can only be removed with a powerful algae magnet or razor blade on the glass(not acrylic!).

HTH

Looks like they are green spot algae -- I have tried remove it with algae razor cleaner -- very hard to remove.

Do ottos eat green spot algae ? I had ottos in the past and really like them a lot (if they survive after initial few months :))

ottos only eat brown diatoms. i've never heard of green spot being hard algae growing on the shells of the diatoms.

but the issue is not your diatoms, but the high light and nutrient imbalance allowing the green spot algae to form.

scrape it off with a single edge razor blade. your nitrates are high and phosphates are low...this is what spawns green spot.

brown diatoms will fade on their own.

Back
Top Bottom