Diatoms just wont go away!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DetroitRockCity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55gal FW tank that has been set up and stocked now for almost a year a half and I am still getting what seem to be diatoms that make the tank look filthy every 2 wks. I have 3 silver dollars, 7 flame tetras, 4 corys, GBR, bolivian ram, 2 honey sunset guarmies. I have lost a few fish over the last 1-1/2 yrs but most of them were after my bout with ick. Here a few wks ago I lost a few tetras with bulging bellies. Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to stop the diatoms. Its like never ending new tank syndrome.

Can you provide a picture? How often are you doing water changes and how much? Also do you clean your filters every time? What are your parameters?

I do water changes every 2 weeks, usually about 40% and I've been cleaning my fluval filter every 2 weeks as well. My water parameters are good, but I do have High PH due to our tap water. I dont have a pic of it because I'm having trouble getting the resolution small enough to upload, but I'm trying.

I would do water changes every week. Most people do water changes once a week. I recently set up a new tank and I did water changes twice a week to get the diatoms out. Since your tank isn't a new setup, I would do water changes more frequently and I bet that helps. Is your Fluval a canister filter? I only cleaned my canister every 4-6 weeks. Rinse the media in removed tank water, not tap water.

Yes weekly water changes are best. Also cleaning the filter every time can cause a mini cycle which could be keeping your tank in a sort of new tank syndrome sort of way. The bacteria doesn't have enough time to build up.

Yeah, assuming your using a good canister filter. Water change once a week, filter cleaning once a month and as a last resort, Otos are fun to keep and will gorge themselves on diatoms.

Back
Top Bottom