Diatoms on their way out new growth in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

push350z

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well after scraping the front of my tank it seems like the diatom growth is slowing or done. Now instead I have on the tips of my 2 fake plants a black algae that is growing. It's small and it's the first day i've noticed it. After some research I think it may be Black Brush Algae. I'm going to remove the plants and scrub them down before putting them back in is there anything else I can do? I heard it forms from low nitrate levels, but I don't have any live plants in my tank that could lead to a lowering of nitrates. I did a test the other night and my nitrates are at the 5ppm level like they have always been. Are there any other conditions I should look out for that could be causing this? Ammonia and nitrite levels are both 0

I once soaked my fake plants in hydrogen peroxide for an hour and didn't see algae on them for almost a month.

But, I think algae is always gonna be present, unless you have fish that don't eat flake food (which contains algae), like fish that eat protein pellets (carnivorous cichlids.)

Back
Top Bottom