Did I get a male/female Gold Ram and Dwarf Gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
Today I bought 2 German Gold Rams and 2 Dwarf Gouramis. I believe I picked one male and one female of each but I thought you guys could check my work:

Ram 1.jpg

^ I believe this is the female.

Ram 2.jpg

^ I believe this is the male.

DG 1.jpg

^This I think is the male due to the orange colorful body.

DG 2.jpg

^ I think this is the female with the silver body.

Did I guess right?

Last edited:
Yea I agree you mistook the rams for the opposite gender, but you have the genders of the gouramis correct. Are you planning to breed them?

Yea I agree you mistook the rams for the opposite gender, but you have the genders of the gouramis correct. Are you planning to breed them?

But you think I have a male and female ram though? I was thinking of breeding both, just for the experience of watching that process, but if they don't thats okay too. I have caves and moss for the rams and I have floating plants for the DG's.

Also what makes you think I mixed up the sexes? Just for my future reference.

U did mix up the sexes of the rams but they should breed if they like there environment that they r in and the gouramis r both male an female too

Yes you definitely have a male and female.
I'd say the first ram is a male due the the spiked dorsal fin as well as the more pronounced colors. Also as he matures his tail will lengthen and grow tips on the sides. The second one looks like a female to me due to the slightly plainer color and less pronounced fins.
General rule is the prettier/flashier fish are usually males as they use their splendor to attract females, who have no need for bright colors and look duller. Similar to peacocks if you will. However some fish do not exhibit sexual dimorphism if they don't choose a specific mate.

Also if your gouramis do breed you may have to move them to a seperate tank, as they need still water to build their nests and for their young to properly grow, and the parents also become quite aggressive.

Yes but as u can see from the pic the top one has very flashy scales almost looks like glitter indicating that he is most likely the male

Well I am just glad I got a male and female of both. Hopefully they will pair and will be happy. They are in a peaceful tank will neon tetras and guppies.

Haha well this isnt the best picture but this is a photo I took of the male bolivian ram I use to have. You can't see it very good but the ends of his tale are curved and there are red string-like tips that grow out from it.

Attachments

• IMG_5300.jpg
    IMG_5300.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 59
View attachment 219754

image.jpg

If you notice his tail has been nipped and he does have some of the sparkles too. It is also a little bigger so I am assuming it is older. Do you still think it is a female? There aren't pink bellies on either fish

Last edited:
Oh wow I did not notice that. However, I really think it does look more female to me since the male had sharper fins while these are flatter and uniform. Is it possibly just a longfin variant?

Back
Top Bottom