Did I just ruin my pot by boiling driftwood in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloaker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up a piece of root wood (don't know what kind, looks similar to type in the following picture):
mI5C_EI_Wi-3KR0uw-ItfEg.jpg

and boiled it in a stainless steel pot for about 3 hours and when I drained the pot of the tannin filled water, I noticed small little brownish bumps stuck on the bottom of the pot. It's stuck in there good; scrubbing isn't working. I'm soaking it in soapy water right now (not going to boil using this pot anymore) but I don't know how to restore it.

Any advice?

Not yet, I'm gonna let it soak overnight then try scraping it with a razor blade as you said tomorrow. This is gonna scratch up the pot bad..

Put some vinager in it and soak for a few hours.

Next time just submerge your drift wood in a sink, bucket, rubbermade and change water twice daily until it stays submerged and the water is clear.

Try Bar Keepers Friend. I use it to clean stainless steel and copper bottom cookware.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your wood was (is?) still green and the resinous sap is in the bottom of your pot. You'll have the best luck with a petroleum product, anything from GooGone to kerosene, paint thinner, etc. If the bumps are distinct are big enough, you might be able to freeze your pot and then pry them loose. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

it's stainless steel, you should be able to remove most anything from it, it just takes some elbow grease.
I would try a steel wool pad with cleanser and scrub in a circular motion, that way any scuffs or scratches can easily be "buffed out" much more easily than a straight scratch from a razor blade and a circular pattern won't be that bad. ;)

remember for best results;
wax on...wax off:ninja:

I'll try all the above. I got impatient with soaking it as I have been doing that for a month and the water was still running yellowy so decided to boil it. Boy did a lot of tannins leak out.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Put some vinager in it and soak for a few hours.

Next time just submerge your drift wood in a sink, bucket, rubbermade and change water twice daily until it stays submerged and the water is clear.
If you wait until the water runs clear it could be a year or more before you get to use it.

If you wait until the water runs clear it could be a year or more before you get to use it.

+1. There's no reason to wait until it runs clear. Just get it to the point that it isn't trying to float away. The tannins are beneficial to most fish, so aesthetics are the only reason you'd want to wait until the water was clear before adding the driftwood to the tank. But even then, if you don't like the blackwater look they give you can just add carbon or purigen to your filter for a while to clean them up.

The magic sponges/erasers are the best. They do not contain bleach and are instead super compact layers of sand paper. I have used on a few pans and they have not scratched any.

Back
Top Bottom