Did I starve my Otos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I feel like the worst fish keeper ever ... After bragging now and then that I've never lost an Oto in 18 months of keeping them, I've lost one for sure, possibly more, and two seem close behind.

I have 10, and used to throw in 1 omega one algae wafer a day, crushed and tossed in the Otos hiding place, knowing they couldn't eat it all but the MTS would help.

They've been in a bigger tank for the past 6 months. The MTS population dropped as I tried to find the sweet spot for the new community. I also noticed a moldy algae wafer piece one day and plenty of algae on rocks and the glass (not tons, just a volume that would be like a 10 day supply of fish food for the other fish). So I cut back on the wafers and noticed no more moldy ones, and a touch less algae. I made sure the algae never disappeared completely, as if the Otos ran out.

One started seeming weak about a week ago, hanging out in this one bottom corner. Yesterday it was sort of laying on its side against the glass, and when it did try to swim it was directionally challenged. It was dead this morning.

Then one started the same side-laying, crash-landing this evening. I have it in a 1 gallon spare with the tank water and a bit of food, and plants.

I think I see one more in the tank being odd too.

Nothing appears to be wrong but I don't know if is recognize skinny fish.

Water parameters are 0-0-10, ph/KH/GH same as always. Usual water changes. Nothing new except I cleaned the filter a week ago. All the other fish are well, including a tetra I thought had NTD awhile back.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have noticed my OTO will get skinny and die too :( it doesn't seem to happen until all the algae has been gone for a few months. I think it is starvation too. I have tried algae tablets but never seen my OTO cat go for it. I have had people tell me they have seen there OTO eating a piece of fish flake that was on the bottom. I wouldn't feel to bad. I don't know what the life expectancy is on these guys but everyone I talk to says they have similar issue.

What size is the tank? Most people run into problems when they aren't supplementing enough and the biofilm and soft algae can't keep up. Blanched peas are a great supplement that will be appreciated by all of your fish.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a 56 gallon. I moved them into it in March.

They always did eat the algae wafers (I saw it) but I stopped giving them every day, about 3 months ago (after the new tank had established). I realize they are delicate but again, I've had most of them well over a year, and the only thing I changed was frequency of the algae wafers.

It's funny they actually never have eaten veggies. They preferred the wafers. I suspect in hindsight the reason they were always "out" recently was having a harder time finding food.

It's a 56 gallon. I moved them into it in March.

They always did eat the algae wafers (I saw it) but I stopped giving them every day, about 3 months ago (after the new tank had established). I realize they are delicate but again, I've had most of them well over a year, and the only thing I changed was frequency of the algae wafers.

It's funny they actually never have eaten veggies. They preferred the wafers. I suspect in hindsight the reason they were always "out" recently was having a harder time finding food.

Thanks for the feed back on the wafers. Did you use the tiny ones or the regular sized ones. Think the regular ones are about 1/2 inch diameter?

I used to stock 1 per 10 gallons and had no issues with them eating, but now I like them as more than just a cleanup crew so I supplement their diet with repashy soilent green gel food, but you have to find a balance they will eat themselves to death as easily as they starve.

I used to stock 1 per 10 gallons and had no issues with them eating, but now I like them as more than just a cleanup crew so I supplement their diet with repashy soilent green gel food, but you have to find a balance they will eat themselves to death as easily as they starve.

Very good feedback, Thank you.

Courgette is always a good food for ottos every couple of weeks if you become concerned they are not eating. I only have 5 in an established 46 so haven't seen any problems as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have had three otos in a 20 gallon tank with a number of tiny tetras and some shrimp for almost three years now. It is heavily planted but I still feed them a zucchini slice about once a week, and an algae wafer about once or twice a week. They would rather eat biofilm and algae, then the zucchini, and rarely the algae wafers. The shrimp usually get them instead. Their little tummies should look round at all times. If not, they need more supplemental food. Blanch a zucchini (courgette) slice in the microwave for about 45 seconds, let it cool, then drop in the tank. It should sink if cooked a little.

I had 3 in a 55 gallon. I decided to move them to my 29 gallon tank because I read they might starve in a larger tank because the larger fish crowded them out of the supplemental food. I can see they are getting fatter and they can eat the algae wafers without being disturbed in the 29 gallon. Mine also eat boiled zucchini but not until it has been in the tank for 24 hours or so. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I use the big algae wafers. I crush one under the jar, and drop them in the Otos hiding area at lights out (because yes the other fish love them).

I personally think their tummies have looked round, when they hang out on the front glass they're like little pearls. The tank isn't devoid of algae and the tank mates haven't changed since being in the 29. The bodies don't seem pinched behind the round torso either.

Maybe it's another factor? I guess time will tell.

I'd wonder if it was the fish themselves but the two that have died were two different species from two stores several months apart. One big one little.

I feel like the worst fish keeper ever ... After bragging now and then that I've never lost an Oto in 18 months of keeping them, I've lost one for sure, possibly more, and two seem close behind.

I have 10, and used to throw in 1 omega one algae wafer a day, crushed and tossed in the Otos hiding place, knowing they couldn't eat it all but the MTS would help.

They've been in a bigger tank for the past 6 months. The MTS population dropped as I tried to find the sweet spot for the new community. I also noticed a moldy algae wafer piece one day and plenty of algae on rocks and the glass (not tons, just a volume that would be like a 10 day supply of fish food for the other fish). So I cut back on the wafers and noticed no more moldy ones, and a touch less algae. I made sure the algae never disappeared completely, as if the Otos ran out.

One started seeming weak about a week ago, hanging out in this one bottom corner. Yesterday it was sort of laying on its side against the glass, and when it did try to swim it was directionally challenged. It was dead this morning.

Then one started the same side-laying, crash-landing this evening. I have it in a 1 gallon spare with the tank water and a bit of food, and plants.

I think I see one more in the tank being odd too.

Nothing appears to be wrong but I don't know if is recognize skinny fish.

Water parameters are 0-0-10, ph/KH/GH same as always. Usual water changes. Nothing new except I cleaned the filter a week ago. All the other fish are well, including a tetra I thought had NTD awhile back.

Make sure that you have lots of water flow for oto cats they are from fast running rivers and because they don't swim they more of suck algae and swim for a short time water does not move thru their gills and they cannot breath and then suffocate and die ? so it might've been u not feeding them or u love them into a tank with less water movement

This has been a public service announcement published by fishtank3

Make sure that you have lots of water flow for oto cats they are from fast running rivers and because they don't swim they more of suck algae and swim for a short time water does not move thru their gills and they cannot breath and then suffocate and die ? so it might've been u not feeding them or u love them into a tank with less water movement

Moved* not love lol

This is not true, water passes through their gills either way, they are tiny suckermouth catfish not sharks. If it were true I wouldn't have otos thriving in most of my tanks which are sponge filtered and low flow.

The amount of water flow is the one thing that has changed drastically. Whether the description above is completely accurate or not I did wonder whether being in a 24" deep tank with its flow recently cut by half could be bothering them.

Back
Top Bottom