did my dwarf african frog eat my sunset gourami eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wills40litreaqu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have very recently (3 months) got a new 40 litre aquarium I look after it very well and my male sunset gourami had started making a bubble nest. The male playfully chased the female and they surely enough mated as once she was full of eggs and the next day she wasn't. They had also embraced before but I, thinking they were fighting, broke them up. Anyway, she obviously had spawned her eggs and they were nowhere to be seen and my dwarf african frog was in the bubble nest looking suspicious. Had he eaten the eggs and will the gouramis try to mate again? Please HELP! :cry:

wills40litreaquarium said:
they were nowhere to be seen and my dwarf african frog was in the bubble nest looking suspicious. :

Well, I've never kept a frog, and the only gouramis i ever had were years ago and they never spawned, but here's the deal.

In nature, any kind of eggs are free protien and just about any creature that can eat them, will do so. So yeah, I'd bet your frog ate them.

On the other side of things, if your gouramis spawned once, they probably will again. I dunno how long it takes before they'd be ready to go again, but if you start seeing signs of bubble nesting, get that froggy outta there! Get anybody else out who could eat the eggs too!

Better yet, maybe you could set up a breeding tank just for the gourami's?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom