Did my fish just die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
Literally been in the tank for about 2 hours.

It's a pregnant female Guppy.

It just flopped over and hasn't moved.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396024853.915671.jpg

Called the shop, they said they want the fish and we get one back in return.

Every cloud and all that...

Is your tank cycled? If so, how did you cycle it? How long has it been running? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? How did you acclimate the fish? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change out?
Answering all of these questions will help us figure out what went wrong.
Guppies are about the hardiest fish out there, they shouldn't just keel over and die when introduced to a new aquarium, which leads me to think something is very wrong. Even if the fish was unhealthy from the store, it should not have died that quickly.

The tank cycled with fish in it about a month ago.

I last tested the water yesterday and both Ammonia and NitrAte were non-existent, I've never tested for Nitrate.
I'll take some water to the shop tomorrow and get them to test it.

I add fish by leaving the bag in the water for around 40 mins, adding tank water every 10 mins or so and netting the fish out.

I change around 15% of the water weekly, siphoning the gravel and cleaning the glass.

Here's what might have happened... Maybe your ammonia bacteria, but not your nitrite to nitrAte. High levels if nitrite can kill too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never tested for Nitrite I meant..

I'm guessing that your tank isn't fully cycled. I would do a nitrite test ASAP and if it's .5 (or greater), change half of the water. Additional 50% water changes will be needed if nitrites are any greater than .5

For example, if the test reads 1.0 ppm, you need to do 2 water changes. The first 50% change should drop it to .5, then the second one will get it down to .25

Wait at least an hour between water changes.

The tank cycled with fish in it about a month ago.

I last tested the water yesterday and both Ammonia and NitrAte were non-existent, I've never tested for Nitrate.
I'll take some water to the shop tomorrow and get them to test it.

I add fish by leaving the bag in the water for around 40 mins, adding tank water every 10 mins or so and netting the fish out.

I change around 15% of the water weekly, siphoning the gravel and cleaning the glass.

Cycled tanks should have some trace of nitrates too, so a reading of zero is unusual. A normal cycled tank should have readings along these lines: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-20 nitrates. What sort of test kit are you using to test your water?

Having 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate is a very very rare occurrence (I've never personally seen it) My first guess is that you performed the nitrate test incorrectly which happens to be very very common. Try retesting nitrate but follow the directions to the letter. Even time yourself on shaking the bottles (assuming you have an API tester)

If you don't do proper water changes the level of nitrate can build up enough that it can send the fish into nitrate shock which is fairly deadly.

Well another one was on its way earlier so I bagged the 10 and took them back to the shop, didn't want to risk the other 8 dying. :(

I got the woman working there to test the water and she says it's perfect, so it can't be that.
She thinks they were stressed out from the tank changes and the harassment from the males.

In return I got 10 Harlequin Rasboras which are looking all fine and dandy right now.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396087717.014159.jpg

Also whilst there I saw some fish food which, as far as I could tell, was a powder that you add to the tank...

Anyone know anything about this?

PS, thanks to everyone that's replied already ?

Yes i have come across the powdered fish food which is for fry, i have used it for baby mollies, also guppys are not hardy in newish tank they do much better in established tanks, 3 months + and its not unheard of for guppys to die so soon after purchase, my son brought a pair of males a couple of years ago, one died within 2 days the other lived out its natural lifespan, these things happen and its not necessarily down to water quality issues and your water seems fine

If you don't have one yet, I strongly suggest you get an APi master test kit for yourself. You will be able to know for yourself what your water is doing immediately. One of fish keeper's best friend. And plant keeper's, BTW. OS.

If you don't have one yet, I strongly suggest you get an APi master test kit for yourself. You will be able to know for yourself what your water is doing immediately. One of fish keeper's best friend. And plant keeper's, BTW. OS.

I do have Ammonia and Nitrite Liquid testing kits but couldn't find a Nitrate one.

I test the water pretty much every week.

Back
Top Bottom