Did something crazy today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RaygunK said:
I figured they were similar. Hmmm..so they will breed? That wasn't my goal, but it's exciting to watch. What's the gestation period on those things or do they lay eggs or what? Also i don't have any substrate in that tank, should i get some for the shrimp? I have an 8x8 patch of fissidens fontanus arriving in the mail soon. I was going to floor the tank with that.

Another thing, i'm worried that when my preggo fish in my community have their fry, that the ghost shrimp will eat them all up before i can catch them. Thoughts?

Ghost shrimp usually don't eat fry because they can't move fast enough. I don't think you need substrate because the fissidens will make a better hiding place for them. The only thing is, ghost shrimp might eat young orange bees.

Ghost shrimp usually don't eat fry because they can't move fast enough. I don't think you need substrate because the fissidens will make a better hiding place for them. The only thing is, ghost shrimp might eat young orange bees.

Oh, good i was worried about my fry. I have the orange bee's in a different tank from the ghosts. So, hopefully all will live peacefully. The ghost's don't breed do they? Oh, do the shrimp lay eggs or what? :fish1:

RaygunK said:
Oh, good i was worried about my fry. I have the orange bee's in a different tank from the ghosts. So, hopefully all will live peacefully. The ghost's don't breed do they? Oh, do the shrimp lay eggs or what? :fish1:

The ghosts might breed too, but usually they're tricky. Sometimes salt helps them. The shrimp carry eggs and then the hatch iside the shrimp, then climb out of the belly. Its weird to watch the females constantly move their eggs by flexing their tummy muscles. Lol.

The ghosts might breed too, but usually they're tricky. Sometimes salt helps them. The shrimp carry eggs and then the hatch iside the shrimp, then climb out of the belly. Its weird to watch the females constantly move their eggs by flexing their tummy muscles. Lol.
My Cherry Shrimp mom is doing that all the time. A bunch of people in my family find it fascinating. I find it kinda weird lol. I agree that Ghost Shrimp CAN breed, but they are more of a challenge to breed, unlike the RCS. 10 RCS = BABIES!!

phoenixkiller said:
My Cherry Shrimp mom is doing that all the time. A bunch of people in my family find it fascinating. I find it kinda weird lol. I agree that Ghost Shrimp CAN breed, but they are more of a challenge to breed, unlike the RCS. 10 RCS = BABIES!!

Lol 2 RCS usually mean babies too if its male and female.

RaygunK said:
How do you tell if it's a male or female?

Usually females are bigger and a lot of the time, they have a yellow "saddle" (the eggs) behind their head.

Back
Top Bottom