Did something crazy today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What am i going to do with all these fry? Should i set up a fry tank? Remember i have the 3 platy fry too. Aye, yi yi! Yes, the bigger one is laying on the ground a lot and looking very heavy and tired. Do i need to put her in the breeder trap now? Or let her wait it out in the community tank?

I also think i'm going to give the female some time away from the males once the fry are born to give them some rest.

What am i going to do with all these fry? Should i set up a fry tank? Remember i have the 3 platy fry too. Aye, yi yi! Yes, the bigger one is laying on the ground a lot and looking very heavy and tired. Do i need to put her in the breeder trap now? Or let her wait it out in the community tank?

I also think i'm going to give the female some time away from the males once the fry are born to give them some rest.
1. Yes. Set up a fry tank as soon as possible. A bare-bottom 10 gallon with some rocks and fake plants will be fine.
2. Put her in the trap. The males will not get the message to stop bugging her, and will harass her to the point of death.

Well, some sad news to report. The large pregnant guppy was dead this morning when I woke up & checked on her. :( Maybe the move & all the makes bugging her was to much. So, I'm wondering if the only other female guppy I got looks pregnant. She is much smaller, but big enough to breed. I would like some guppy fry! ;)

View attachment 86670

View attachment 86671

View attachment 86672

She's in front of the filter & big yellow fish on my background in the pics. I moved her into my community tank so the males wouldn't bug her to death!

Well, some sad news to report. The large pregnant guppy was dead this morning when I woke up & checked on her. :( Maybe the move & all the makes bugging her was to much. So, I'm wondering if the only other female guppy I got looks pregnant. She is much smaller, but big enough to breed. I would like some guppy fry! ;)

View attachment 86670

View attachment 86671

View attachment 86672

She's in front of the filter & big yellow fish on my background in the pics. I moved her into my community tank so the males wouldn't bug her to death!
She looks pregnant, but I think she will make it until you get the real breeding trap. Keep me updated!

Ok, thanks. Will do. Yes, i should have my trap in a couple days and will put her in it then.

Just wanted to show an updated pic of my preg. guppy. She has been hanging around more in the bottom corner of the tank. My breeding trap will be here tomorrow. I just want to make sure I have that long to wait to do something with her.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't be too worried unless you want to save every last fry. Guppies are such prolific breeders you will have a tankful in no time. When I had my guppies I just let them do their thing in the main tank. I had plenty of java moss for the fry to hide in and pick at trapped food in it.

It looks like you have enough decor that the fry could take cover in. Don't underestimate the fry's ability to hide. I saw some of mine that was hiding in the cracks in my gravel (when I had gravel). If you do leave them in your main tank, just be careful doing your water changes.

As for the cycling question (from pg 1, probably) - let your test kit be your guide. Get a good liquid reagent test kit and do water changes accordingly. Any ammonia or nitrites above .25ppm, do a water change. It's pretty simple but takes some time and effort.

Sourcing some seeded filter media would be your best bet. You could post on craigslist in your area and see if anyone has any seeded media for sale.

Good luck!

If those are truly moscows, you lucked out. There are always bidding wars for them at our local auctions. (y)

Yes, i've been water testing and my ammonia and nitrites have been 0 every time. My new tank came with seeded media in the filter, so that's been running in there since i set it up.

About the fry, yes, i do have lots of hiding places. I don't have any of the moss though. Maybe i'll try to pick some up. Yeah, i guess i don't need every fry to "make it", b/c i don't really want a ton of fish! Maybe i'll just let nature take it's course and see what i get. That's how i found 3 baby platies hiding out in the bottom of my tank!

Yes, they are! The woman i got them from is a fish fanatic! I don't even know what to do with the 7 males i have. Maybe i can start selling guppies out of my house! Maybe i do want to save every fry! ;)

The woman also had huge (75g+) tanks, about 15 of them, full of HUGE angel fish! 2 tanks she is giving away she told me! She's a breeder and i think that's all she does. It was kind of a lucky score with the guppies.

Oh, there is also some other guppy too, they are darker more black & purple. I don't know what those are.

When I had my guppies they would breed roughly every 30 days, dropping about ~20 fry each time. I would say at least half made it to adulthood. I ended up rehoming about 20 to a guy that saw my ad on here.

They can really take over your tank quickly, just be aware of that. Even if you separate the females from the males they will still drop fry for months. Once the fry grow to adults and start breeding with their siblings then you have to start culling the deformed fry as well.

View attachment 86670

View attachment 86671

View attachment 86672

Yeah, I personally think she is getting there, but tomorrow I wouldn't say would be the magic day. In reply to the other comments, yes, I am hoping she wants to save every... last... fry...

Ok, just posted in another thread to get some other opinions too. :)

But while i preparing my tank with some low covering plants, i found a tiny fry! A white, almost translucent, one w/big black eyes. So i captured it and stuck it in with my platy fry that are a couple weeks old.

So i'm wondering, if my guppy had all of her fry or is it a process? Should i be looking for more now? Also, the guppy still has her gravid spot and big belly--so i stuck her in the breeding trap in case she is still having her fry. So is it over and i missed it or do they drop in increments?

There is also the possibility of another fish (i think it would have to be my platy, again) having had the fry. But it is a brand new fry, guessing by the transparency of it!

Should i leave the guppy in the breeding net or let her out? I'm leaving the house soon for a while, if that makes any difference. :)

Ok, just posted in another thread to get some other opinions too. :)

But while i preparing my tank with some low covering plants, i found a tiny fry! A white, almost translucent, one w/big black eyes. So i captured it and stuck it in with my platy fry that are a couple weeks old.

So i'm wondering, if my guppy had all of her fry or is it a process? Should i be looking for more now? Also, the guppy still has her gravid spot and big belly--so i stuck her in the breeding trap in case she is still having her fry. So is it over and i missed it or do they drop in increments?

There is also the possibility of another fish (i think it would have to be my platy, again) having had the fry. But it is a brand new fry, guessing by the transparency of it!

Should i leave the guppy in the breeding net or let her out? I'm leaving the house soon for a while, if that makes any difference. :)
They can drop fry for several days before they are "empty". I can almost guarantee that there are more fry in there. Double check the tank.

Ya I'm still finding fry. Just found 6 more but I am my sure if it's platy or guppy since I have pregnant mommas of both species in mah ten gallon breeder tank

Back
Top Bottom