did u know Cories have a labyrinth organ?? i did know that!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
Labyrinth Breathers: Corydoras prefer to live in cooler waters but possess an auxiliary breathing organ that enables them to survive in those shallow pools of low oxygen warm water. You can see them come up to the top to breathe. If you’ve walked barefoot along a river in the summer, you know how warm these shallow pools can get.

hrrmm, so i guess they are like bettas in a way :wink:

i dont think they do. i think catfish fill their stomachs with air or soemthing because my plecos sometimes do it too

Corys don't have a labrynth organ like bettas and gouramis, but they can absorb oxygen from air in their gut.
They frequently swim to the surface and gulp air, which they expel from their other end...yes, corys fart! :D

That is too funny. I'm going to watch my cories for little air bubbles coming out of their....well you know. :D :D

cory's are perfectly well behaved, and always remember to leave the seat down.

I think the article cited is a little off. Its more like cory's use the swallowed air 'like' a labyrinth organ. Just over simplifying it, that's all.

Yes, they swallow the air and digest it. I often see my cories with a swollen gut. Not like Bettas at all.

I have seen them go to thetop, and every once in a while, i see my pleco dart to the top and then dart back down. I didn't know they swallowed the air.

Back
Top Bottom