did your cyano/blue-green blackout work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Was a blackout successful in eliminating cyano/blue-green algae from your tank?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

frog girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think I would like to try a blackout to get rid of a few stray bits of cyano in my tank. It has been declining for a while but seems to come back a bit everytime I have to disturb my sand over clay substrate. I just want it gone. Drugs are great but if I can do it without even better.

I have heard mixed reviews of this technique so please vote & or give me any tips that you might have.

Thanks

I wrapped two big, thick towels around my betts's 2.5g tank, and then went on vacation. When I came back 8 days later, the cyano was just like I left it. :(

I used the half dose of erythromycin and the blackout for a week. I wrapped my tanks in newspaper, and left a little flap on one side so I could lift it up and peek to see if the fish were ok (which they were!)

This worked very well for me. I didn't try the blackout alone because the cyano was so smelly. I just had to get rid of it quick because the smell was so bad!

Blackouts never worked for me, used maracyn and it was gone in days.

If you are worried about the cost, buying it online is a lot cheaper.

An t-iasg,

You must have had a horrible case to have the smell be so bad 8O .

I only really notice mine when I am doing tank maintenance. Of course I grew up messing about in ponds so . . . but I do have a very sensitive nose.

Sounds like the maracyn is the way to go anyway. So if I do it at half the dosage it will not kill my biological filter & all the good bacteria in my tank?? Would I be safer to save a start from my biofiliter just in case??

Back
Top Bottom