Difference between Bogwood and Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've searched several aquarium sites and have yet to find out....
just what is the difference between bogwood and driftwood?!
:?
The only thing I could figure out is all bogwood is driftwood but not all driftwood is bogwood...

We recently bought two bristle nose plecos and they are listed as needing BOGwood. How do I know is our DRIFTwood is acceptable?
:oops:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=234158#234158

"Driftwood is actually NOT what you should be looking for. Bog wood is preferred. Driftwood is called driftwood because it drifts on the tides, and if it drifts it floats. Also much of the driftwood on the West Coast is composed of softwood like pine and fir. You do NOT want to use these woods in your tank.

Bog wood on the other hand is primarily hard wood. And due to being in a bog it's already water logged and sinks and due to being in the bog the softer parts of the wood have already decayed."

rex is the man....correct and right to the point :lol:

So if it sinks it 's bogged and not drifting... I follow that.

Our wood is sunk, so is that the right thing? They were bought at LFS.

I don't know what the fuss is about. People have been using driftwood and all kinds of wood in their tanks forever, and nobody dies. Avoid evergreens and don't worry about it. If it does not sink, then tie or screw it to a piece of slate, if you like the look of the wood and want to use it.

I prefer bogwood just because I don't want to fool with getting it to sink, but I hate for people to sweat and stress over things that don't matter so much - too many rules!

Your ancistrus will enjoy the lignin found in ANY wood sold as aquarium safe. Lignin is what makes a tree rigid and be able to stand and not flop over. I have used DRIFTwood that was collected myself on the bay and my bristlenoses rasp on that just like the other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom