difference between these two algea wafers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought the bag that is on the left and was given the bag on the right. They look totally different. Is there really any difference other then the one on the right has some veggies in it? What one is better to feed:
Guppies in 10g
Common pleco at night in 55g
Cichlids during the day in 55g
And Goldfish
TIA

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140215_160132.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140215_160132.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 112
Good quality pleco algae wafers should contain wood, as many plecos need it for healthy digestion (some eat little else?). Veggie wafers are aslo suitable for plecos as long as you have wood in the tank for , and are obviously ideal for.any fish that has vegetable matter or algae in the diet. Most of these wafers contain varying amounts of spirulina, considered to be the most nutritious of algae.

Of course, fresh green foods are also excellent :)

Good quality pleco algae wafers should contain wood, as many plecos need it for healthy digestion (some eat little else?). Veggie wafers are aslo suitable for plecos as long as you have wood in the tank for , and are obviously ideal for.any fish that has vegetable matter or algae in the diet. Most of these wafers contain varying amounts of spirulina, considered to be the most nutritious of algae.

Of course, fresh green foods are also excellent :)

Yes i am trying to feed the pleco cucumber and spinach. I do not have drift wood and cannot afford any

Yes i am trying to feed the pleco cucumber and spinach. I do not have drift wood and cannot afford any

You can use natural wood such as oak,.but it needs to be in the process of decomposing. The fish get nutrients from the organisms that decompose the wood

You can use natural wood such as oak,.but it needs to be in the process of decomposing. The fish get nutrients from the organisms that decompose the wood

I don't got any of that... i was also told that it wasn't needed really. I am just having trouble feeding my pleco. I make my room dark for an hour.. put the wafer in and then check 5 mins later and allllll the cichlids are in a circle around it. I have not found any big 'pleco' poop either... i don't think he is getting any food :/ i will stick to feeding him both the wafers but i will alternate them

I bought the bag that is on the left and was given the bag on the right. They look totally different. Is there really any difference other then the one on the right has some veggies in it? What one is better to feed:
Guppies in 10g
Common pleco at night in 55g
Cichlids during the day in 55g
And Goldfish
TIA

The one on the left is what I feed my pleco/kissing gouramis. They love them

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of cichlids and what do you feed them?

Maybe your dark room isn't dark enough? Are you using moonlight night lighting of some sort?

The driftwood is often in the reptile section of the pet store. You only need a small stick but whoever told you that it's not important was mistaken. I paid $10 for a medium chunk of mopani but they had several smaller ones for $7. And it lasts for years and years.

As for the wafers, I haven't used the Tetra brand. I can tell you that some wafers have much more filler (wheat, usually) than others but you really need to read the ingredients to know.

I have a bristlenose and lots of other bottom fish so I give bottom feeder (omnivore) wafers, an occasional algae wafer, and wilted greens rubberbanded to a rock. The other fish and snails eat some, too, but there is enough to go around and the pleco isn't shy. I drop wafers in the dark for the loaches and always more than one in different places because I know the pleco will hog one.

When I turn off the lights for the night, then I drop in a few algae wafers. The eat them every night after it's dark in the house. My fish love the wafers on the left.

What kind of cichlids and what do you feed them?

Maybe your dark room isn't dark enough? Are you using moonlight night lighting of some sort?

The driftwood is often in the reptile section of the pet store. You only need a small stick but whoever told you that it's not important was mistaken. I paid $10 for a medium chunk of mopani but they had several smaller ones for $7. And it lasts for years and years.

As for the wafers, I haven't used the Tetra brand. I can tell you that some wafers have much more filler (wheat, usually) than others but you really need to read the ingredients to know.

I have a bristlenose and lots of other bottom fish so I give bottom feeder (omnivore) wafers, an occasional algae wafer, and wilted greens rubberbanded to a rock. The other fish and snails eat some, too, but there is enough to go around and the pleco isn't shy. I drop wafers in the dark for the loaches and always more than one in different places because I know the pleco will hog one.

I have 2 electric yellow, 5 cobalt blue, 2 ob zebra, 1 strawberry peacock. I feed them topfin max tropical flakes or hokari cichlid pellets. I havnt been feeding them the pellets to much because it seems that not everyone gets some and they are expired.... :/ do they benefit from them? The driftwood at my lfs was $19.99 for a medium ish piece. I don't think they had any small. I will look around. It will sink if its from a pet store right?

And not my room goes basically pitch black. I don't have any lights on. No moonlight either

I do not have drift wood and cannot afford any

A small chunk of mopani or Malaysian driftwood is about 5-7 bucks at any LFS. If you play your cards right you can probably get one for free ;) lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A small chunk of mopani or Malaysian driftwood is about 5-7 bucks at any LFS. If you play your cards right you can probably get one for free ;) lol

Haha not my lfs there pieces are nuts!!! I might be able to get some cheaper but its $10 for gas to get there

Haha not my lfs there pieces are nuts!!! I might be able to get some cheaper but its $10 for gas to get there

I know it's rough. I always try the net for the cheapest prices but the free shipping they offer can take awhile for delivery. I actually negotiated for a piece of wood from the display tank at my lfs a few times. Good luck.

I know it's rough. I always try the net for the cheapest prices but the free shipping they offer can take awhile for delivery. I actually negotiated for a piece of wood from the display tank at my lfs a few times. Good luck.

Yes i am not a person to ask for something... if i buy one it will sink right?

Malaysian DW will sink; not sure about Mopani. In either case, I boil the DW for about 20 minutes to help reduce any buoyancy.

Malaysian DW will sink; not sure about Mopani. In either case, I boil the DW for about 20 minutes to help reduce any buoyancy.

Okay so buy a piece of drift wood and boil it on the stove for 20 mins?

My dad just said he might take me up to the lake tomorrow to get drift wood. Would that work? I got a piece awhile ago but my water turned yellow. Will boiling it make it not then yellow?

Yes, boiling it will help reduce the tannins (the yellow colored substances) from the DW. Maybe not completely but it helps.
Hopefully others might chime in on what to look for and what to avoid when selecting DW from "the wild".

Yes, boiling it will help reduce the tannins (the yellow colored substances) from the DW. Maybe not completely but it helps.
Hopefully others might chime in on what to look for and what to avoid when selecting DW from "the wild".

If we do end up going tomorrow.. i will be sure to take pictures of it if we find some and then make a thread while i am boiling it to get some opinions

As far as boiling, I have a piece of what I believe is mopani dw. I soaked it in a bucket for about 2 weeks, changing water every time it was stained, replacing with hot tap water. Then I boiled it 2 nights, about 12 hours total. You have to watch when your boiling it and make water changes when it stains or topping off the pot as necessary, I boiled mine dry on accident, but it turned out alright. My tank water is still crystal clear and my bn pleco loves it.

Ps. Pets mart hides their driftwood in the reptile section. That's where I got mine from, so soaking it was very necessary.
Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom