Difference in male and female guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

REDCHEVYBLAZER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know in most guppies color is huge. But idk if my guppy is male or female. Is there anyway besides colors? Ive never seen one this color before either.

I know in most guppies color is huge. But idk if my guppy is male or female. Is there anyway besides colors? Ive never seen one this color before either.

Search for a gonopodium(think that's spelled right) if it has it its a male. It's an altered anal fin used in internal fertilization, like mammals(for a lack of other appropriate terms).

Post a pic if you can.
Females are typically bigger. The abdomen often has a gravid spot (darkened area). Males are usually smaller and the bottom fin is not triangular like the female. It is flattened against the body. Called the gonopodium, it is used for mating.

Looks like i have 2 males then cause i dont see any difference in the bottom fins. Thats good cause i dont want guppy babies!

Back
Top Bottom