Different PH readings...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamburgler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently tested PH in my tank and these are the results...
Tap: 8.8
Tank high range PH: 7.2
Tank PH: 6.4

What should i be going by here? I have african cichlids in the tank and they have been doing fine for the past 4 months.

When i intially tested 4 months ago the PH was too high on the regular ph scale and came in at 8.8 on the high range. So the low range changed...

You don't use both the high range and regular ph. What you do is use the regular low range ph to get your reading. If it turns out to be pegged on the high side, then the low range kit is useless, and you then need to go to the high range to get your true ph reading. There is only 1 ph reading, not 2 different ones.

The first time i initially tested the the reading was too high for low range. And now it is different and i have not done anything different. I was just making sure.

As long as the ph remains stable, the fish will be fine. Just keep tabs on the ph to make sure it's not making any large swings. The only swing you should see is what little swing there will be when you do a PWC. Other than that, a stable ph is better than a perfect ph using chemicals, as they tend to cause the ph to swing.

Back
Top Bottom