Different plant growth rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexTheGreat

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought two of the same plants and one of them seems to be growing much faster and taller then the other. I was wondering why that could be becuase the larger one has already reached the surface of the water and I need to trim it down while the smaller one is just growing at a slower and steadier pace. 20170516_124910.jpg this is the larger one behind the temple and this 20170516_124905.jpg is the smaller one.
If you could also identify the name i would appreciate it becuase I forgot to write it down thank you

Ludwigia repens?

I'm not too hot on plant so hopefully someone else will be along to confirm/correct.

As for growth rate, could be a number of things...
Better nutrients to start off with, better slightly different lighting, fish food falls closer to one, you sneezed on Saturday instead of Wednesday...

Plants are like people, too. They all grow different.

Ya I have had a potassium deficiency on both but the smaller one definitely has more of it so i started putting seachems potassium and it seems to have gotten worse??? That or maybe its just my imagination but holes are showing up more frequently and it seems to only be affecting those plants in particular

What ferts are you using on what schedule? There is a thread on this forumn on nutrient toxicity, good reading although sometimes over my head (those guys are good).
However I tend to think you could have an imbalance depending on what you're using.

Last edited:
Im using API leaf zone, CO2 booster and seachems flourish potassium. I havent installed a CO2 system yet but ive only been dosing what the instructions say 2-3 times a week for the potassium, once a week for the leaf zone and daily for the CO2. If you could link the thread that would be great so i can read into it

What is the flow like in that area where the small plant is? It's probably that the other plant has better nutrient and light availability. If the smaller plant is growing healthily I wouldn't worry about it.

Regarding the holes. Are these hygrophila? They seem to be susceptible to a manganese issue. Most likely a deficiency. Leaf zone has iron and potassium and if you are dosing additional potassium you have too much. You need some trace elements in this case.

What is the flow like in that area where the small plant is? It's probably that the other plant has better nutrient and light availability. If the smaller plant is growing healthily I wouldn't worry about it.
It doesn't have the best flow in the tank but the plants around it seem to be growing fine but i will try and make that area have more flow.what would be a good prpduct for that without haveing to spend to much?

Regarding the holes. Are these hygrophila? They seem to be susceptible to a manganese issue. Most likely a deficiency. Leaf zone has iron and potassium and if you are dosing additional potassium you have too much. You need some trace elements in this case.
I dont know what they are becuase i forgot to write down the name but i was looking around and it does seem to be a kind of hygrophila ill give you more pictures to help you see what it is 20170517_125103.jpg20170517_125058.jpgthe first is the smaller one the othee is the larger one

Looks like hygrophila. I don't think you are suffering from tox in this case. You are suffering from deficiency. You need to dose some micro nutrients and stop dosing so much potassium.

Back
Top Bottom