Different temperature readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yudhas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two thermometer for my tank. One is a standard digital temperature and the other is on my Fluval G3. Before I got my Fluval I was just running one thermometer and its readings have always been 79-81. At one point it went as high as 82, it got really hot where I lived.

I installed the Fluval G3 about 10 days ago and the readings is always 1.7 degrees lower than that of my digital temperature. For example, if my Fluval is reading at 77, the digital would be reading at 78.7. It will always be like that and now I don't know which one I should trust.

thankfully there's an easy way to test if a thermometer is accurate. Here is the directions for calibrating a thermometer.

Calibration in Ice Water

Add crushed ice and water to a container to form a watery slush.

Place thermometer probe into slush for at least one minute taking care to not let the probe contact the container.

If the thermometer does not read between 30° and 34° F adjust to 32° F.

Since yours are probably not able to be calibrated whichever one reads at 32 degrees is correct.

Im not familiar with the way that filter runs but is the heating element in the filter? Inline? Could that just be the temp setting and not actual temp?? My heater is set to 76 but my tank is 78.6..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have my heaters installed in the tank anymore because there is no point of having it. The ambient temperature in my room is already in the high 70s so I ended up taking the heaters out. On a hot day the ambient can rise to mid 80s. There is no heater built in the filter.

I tried using the ice water method to check the digital thermometer and it got as low as 34.5 before it started to increase again as the ice started to melt. I can't check on my filter as I don't know whether it uses the intake or the outtake to check the temperature. And it's a bit difficult for me to take the filter out of the tank.

It may just be the tank temp us cooler than the filter temp?? I'm guessing the filter is on the floor, heat rises..

It's actually the other way around. My digital thermometer is reading 1.7 higher than my filter temp. Yes the filter is on the floor inside a cabinet.

Haha well I'm stumped.. if it's just a minor discrepancy than I wouldn't sweat it..

Back
Top Bottom