Different test kits, different readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSenn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wondering if anyone has used two test kits simultaneously and gotten different readings after testing the same source. In this case, I am referring to hardness test kits.

Right now I actually have 3 hardness test kits: Red Sea, Nutrafin and Aquarium Pharm. The Red Sea and the Nutrafin tests kits give the same reading, which differ from the reading I get from the Aquarium Pharm kit. For example, the Aquarium Pharm. kit gives me a higher GH reading and a lower KH reading than the other two.

Common sense tells me to use either the Nutrafin or Red Sea kits because they give matching readings, but I heard that the Aquarium Pharm. was 'the best' or whatever, so I am not sure which to go by. All the kits I have are new, so I would assume they aren't inaccurate due to age.

API is often recommended because you can get the Master Test Kit with liquid test kits at a reasonable cost. It's a good brand, but certainly not "the best". I'd recommend seeing if you can obtain a copy of the water report for your area. Compare this to your test results from the different kits. This would be an easy way to get a rough idea which test(s) are more accurate. Even better would be to obtain (make) a set of reference solutions. These have a known value, so which ever kit gives the closest readings is the most accurate.

Understand that these tests and all tests in general have a degree or % of error so the same test may not show identical numbers, but at least should be in the "ballpark".

Back
Top Bottom