Different type of tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok since my big fish disaster i been thinking out how i could finish stocking my tank later down the road. Since the cardinal tetras i got seem very fragile and got treated by the zebras as one of them and got chased and bother by them all the time which i dont think the tetras enjoyed. My thinking is i do want some type of tetra in my community but would a bigger tetra like say a Serpae or black skirt tetra be a little bit better or are they just as fragile .... im open to suggestions also i would like to get my clown pleco back and neon gourami cause i miss them.

So that would put my tank at
4 zebras
3 aeneus cory cats
5-6 type of tetra
1 clown pleco
1-2 neon goruami (depending on if i have room and i would try to get a male and female)

TIA

Ray

PS i will be letting my tank run for at least 2 or 3 more weeks before i even buy a fish to put in my new QT tank ... in case anyone was wondering

Might I recommend a Cochu's blue tetra. They are so very beautiful and very rarely heard of, but they're not that hard to find. My Petsmart has some, but you can see and order it here: http://www.azgardens.com/schooling_fish.php It's the third fish down!!! Those green fire tetras are nice too! I'm thinking of doing the blue tetra and green fire tetra when I stock my 55. HTH

I personally don't think your fish were in your tank long enough to ack "normal". I think they need 2 weeks or longer to get used to their new home. I also give my tank time to adjust to any changes, and add fish at a slower rate. JMO

When you are ready to add fish again, the green fire tetra is a very nice fish. I like those blue tetras too, but have never seen them around here. My green fires have been much more hardy than any of the cardinals or neons I've tried. I also like my gold pristella tetras a lot, and glow light tetras. They are also very hardy, and get bigger than neons or cardinals if that's what you're looking for. They're easier to find than green fires IME. Male green fires get bigger than neons or cardinals also, while the females stay a little smaller than the males.

I would prefer to get the fish locally and not have to order any online so in the next couple weeks ill scout out the LFS s and see if they have any of these types of tetra or are gonna be getting any in ...... i like the look of the green fires and also the glolight tetras and its good to hear that they are a little hardier than the cardinals .... but yes i know they didnt fully have time to get accustomated to there new surroundings and their quality of life could have improved given more time .... i just wish i fully know what caused the Ich and everything else .... but such is life i guess.
thanks guys

Ray

i'm a huge advocate of the black skirt tetras. i have 7 in my 55gal and they are really an amusing fish. always VERY active. i thought they were kind of dull looking at first, but after a couple weeks they really became very very shiny and have great silver or black colors in the fins. great fish imo!

You could try black phantom tetras. They’re a hardy fish and apparently one of the easiest tetras to keep. What I like most about these tetras is that the male and female are very distinguishable.

01_Tetra__BLACK_PHANTOM_male.jpg

Male black phantom

01_Tetra_BLACK_PHANTOM_female.jpg

Female black phantom

Back
Top Bottom