Different types of driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Finally I am going to move on to driftwood. I'm sure a lot of people on this site are questioning why I use fake decorations to begin with. Well truthfully it's the price. What kind of driftwood would I be able to purchase that would look like thie tree decoration to the left. My nerite snails are eating the paint off of it but my loaches love love it to hide in it. I am in a predicament :confused:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's the pic of the decoration.

Attachments

• 1444483897681.jpg
    1444483897681.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 134
Manzanita, bogwood, spider wood are some types I know. I think spider wood looks the best for scares, but for your tank bogwood or manzanita would be the best choice. Remember to soak it first to get rid of the tannins, unless you want them in your water. They do lower the pH and turn the water a very dark tea brown color though.

Even if you purchase driftwood from a lfs that is attached to a weight do you still have to soak it?

I purchased two of my pieces of driftwood from the tanks at my LFS. they are manzanita with anubias already planted on the driftwood. They were $14.98 each. I just checked for snails and them put them in my tanks No fuss, no mess. Alison:)

Mopani root wood.
If you're in the uk, pets at home currently have a deal on this stuff, 3 for 2. Not sold by weight!

I meant sold with a weight attached to the bottom that you hide in the substrate.

I meant sold with a weight attached to the bottom that you hide in the substrate.

Yep I got ya, that wasn't related to your post about weights! Not sure how it works where you are but some places sell by the kg. this makes heavy woods like mopani and bogwood really expensive!

You should pre soak wood to release tannins, some people don't. Tannins will discolour the water, this can be removed by using carbon.
Also tannins can acidify the water (black water, as in black water extract)

Final point, pre soaking wood, particularly dry floaty bits, most pieces sink as they take on water. The added weight (of water) is enough to counter the natural buoyancy. This works for most pieces.

Larger bits are usually dense enough to just sink.

Pre soaking is also good for removing dust and debris, and, if any contaminants have made it onto the wood, should help disperse those in a safe fish free environment.

Yep I got ya, that wasn't related to your post about weights! Not sure how it works where you are but some places sell by the kg. this makes heavy woods like mopani and bogwood really expensive!

You should pre soak wood to release tannins, some people don't. Tannins will discolour the water, this can be removed by using carbon.
Also tannins can acidify the water (black water, as in black water extract)

Final point, pre soaking wood, particularly dry floaty bits, most pieces sink as they take on water. The added weight (of water) is enough to counter the natural buoyancy. This works for most pieces.

Larger bits are usually dense enough to just sink.

Pre soaking is also good for removing dust and debris, and, if any contaminants have made it onto the wood, should help disperse those in a safe fish free environment.

I figured, but I'm a driftwood newbie. Just making sure I cover all my bases. I'm so excited to have real decor in my tank besides the plants and river rocks .

It's good to be excited. I get excited when I set up a tank and actually scape it. It's a good creative outlet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anyone have experience with mopani?

Your feelings on it?

Mixed to be honest lol. Some pieces were trouble free and sank immediately with no hassle. I've had another that finally sinks but after hours of boiling still putting off the white fuzz.

Caleb

I prefer other woods to mopani, it's my last resort wood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom