Difficulty feeding new DPs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isolate and try different food.

When I had my DP, she didn't eat anything for the first few days and she was terribly skinny. I tried everything, but the only thing she ate was snails. I used a tong to hold the snail during feeding. Everyday for the first few days, I held the snails with a tong. Eventually they associated the tong with feeding time. I easily got her to eat raw shrimp, so I could medicate her food.

First isolate and then you can see what each will eat.

And again, please make sure you're meeting all requirements for keeping DPs. I remember reading a similar scenario, but that person had 2 DPs in a 5g tank. You have to assume that the problem could be not meeting requirements, or else you introduce many variables to why your DP is not eating or not behavior properly.

I don't have the equipment available to isolate them but i'm going to run out and buy some frozen brine shrimp and raw shrimp to see if I can get them to eat a different type of food. If I can get them to eat i'm going to try medicating their food. But not point in medicating if I can't get them to eat in the first place. Thanks for all your help though I appreciate it.

Tried frozen brine shrimp and that didn't work either. The one that has internal parasites is starting to look really bad, He's barley moving and is really skinny. The other one, despite not eating, seems to be doing fine.

I took another look at the one that is still healthy and his belly looks nice and round right now. He must be eating something, not really sure what, I did leave a few frozen brine shrimp in there in case he changed his mind, maybe he did eat some of them. whatever it is at least he's not starving! :)

Sadly I lost the one I believe to have IP this morning :( The other little guy seems to be doing fine. He still doesn't seem to be eating a whole lot but isn't super skinny. Heading to my favorite and biggest fish store this weekend to get him some feeder snails and hopefully some blackworms. :) He just seems to be a picky little guy

platycrazy19 said:
Sadly I lost the one I believe to have IP this morning :( The other little guy seems to be doing fine. He still doesn't seem to be eating a whole lot but isn't super skinny. Heading to my favorite and biggest fish store this weekend to get him some feeder snails and hopefully some blackworms. :) He just seems to be a picky little guy

I'm sorry for your loss. I bought a DP last night and he hasn't been too active. Pretty timid for these past 24 hrs. I added 10 tiny trumpet snails to its tank (too found to tell the sex) and I don't think its eaten any. I have Artemia Shrimp tidbits I've put in there, but no luck. Pay day isnt until Friday, so no frozen bloodworms until then. I'm sorry yours is picky. Mine seems to be like that, too... So far at least.

It was really tough to loose another one. It was my second one I lost to IP and I lost one before that with an accident with the filter...I believe. Hopefully this little guy stays healthy because I don't think I could take it to loose another one. I would probably end up giving up if I did. Good news is that he seems to like the frozen brine shrimp I gave him. He's not gulping it down but I've noticed when he thinks I can't see him he takes a bite at one and he definitely seems to be exploring more, I think he's starting to get more settled in.

yeah he is completely alone at the moment I plan on moving a few RCS back over when I am sure that the water is clear of IP medication so that they are not harmed. I noticed that one is already carrying eggs so i'm sure my puffer will have fun hunting down the baby RCS. :)

Here's a picture of my puffer. Ceej - I read your thread on cycling saw the pic of your puffer, very cute. They are such fascinating fish, they swim in the most unique way and are always curious about stuff. By the way be careful when your using your gravel vac they tend to get curious and if your not paying attention you'll suck him up and have to rescue him from the bucket.

Attachments

• IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 53
platycrazy19 said:
Here's a picture of my puffer. Ceej - I read your thread on cycling saw the pic of your puffer, very cute. They are such fascinating fish, they swim in the most unique way and are always curious about stuff. By the way be careful when your using your gravel vac they tend to get curious and if your not paying attention you'll suck him up and have to rescue him from the bucket.

Haha, thank you! They're definitely my new obsession. I feel bad for my Rasboras. They barely see me now. I'll be careful not to suck the little dude up!

lol I know I don't spend much time looking into my 10g community tank any more. My puffers tank is on my desk, which i never use to sit at but find myself doing now. lol He was just checking out my computer screen...he must know i'm talking about him. :)

Haha! They're one if the more curious fish I've kept. I heard chiclids are like that, too.

I just fed my puffer live brine shrimp. I saw him eat one, but ignored the rest. So I walked out of the room to give him privacy lol. When I came back, his belly was huge. Looks like two balloons inside him. Is that normal looking?

Haha! They're one if the more curious fish I've kept. I heard chiclids are like that, too.

I just fed my puffer live brine shrimp. I saw him eat one, but ignored the rest. So I walked out of the room to give him privacy lol. When I came back, his belly was huge. Looks like two balloons inside him. Is that normal looking?

nope. it should be one very round belly, not two bumps. Definitely treat for parasites.

Terrance said:
nope. it should be one very round belly, not two bumps. Definitely treat for parasites.

What's the best IP medication out there?

Message me if you can. I don't want to take over Platys thread lol. Not my intent.

Back
Top Bottom