Diffusing outflow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jar773

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I purchased a used 55g tank that had a Fluval 403 canister filter, I ran this filter for two weeks with sellers medium that was slighty rinsed and replaced carbon, was not to impressed with water flow so I did some more research whic said you really cant over filter. So I decided on a Fluval 406 canister thinking I can swap around 403 if I need to set up a temp hospital tank. we'll the flow of these 2 filters is a bit much. after 2 weeks I took apart and lightly rinsed the gravel residue out and low and behold that 403 is really putting out now. The 403 I can turn down about halfway but it still is a bit much,ti has a tube with 10 or so holes, I suppose I could drill them out a little to soften streams. The 406 is a pretty strong filter also and has a single short tube.My ? is what would you do to the 403 and the 406 to slow or diffuse out flow? I really would like to run these filters at max due to my job and being away for two weeks at a time (another reason for introducing the 406) that way my 14yr son does not have to deal with filter cleanings.
:thanks:

Make a spray bar out of PVC and a nylon hose barb that you can find at Home Depot (or buy a Fluval one). Drill the holes large, place the bar 2-3" below the surface and point it at the glass. This is what I did for my 405, and the most I see with it aimed in this fashion is a slight roiling at the surface along the length of the spray bar, which doesn't even produce enough current to move my floating plants out of that end of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom