Dilema...please offer your support/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the pond heater is an AWESOME idea! It is not too expensive and I think it would solve any and all of the issues she has with leaving them there or taking care of them in the winter.

It does get very cold here. We are in NW Montana and this is her small pond which she has weathered goldies over the winter in before but some of the winters have gotten harsh enough to freeze it enough to kill the goldies.

I know she just doesnt want to take the chance of them dying off and has probably never even thought about getting a heater for it.

I think if I offer to buy it for her she will go for it and it will take away all of her issues.

I am going over there to visit her today and will talk with her about it all and will keep you all posted!

Thanks so much!

Update!

I talked to my mother in law. I told her that I was thinking about her gold fish and thought that a pond heater would be the best thing for her situation. She was silent, I said they only cost about $40 bucks and then you could keep your goldies right where they are. You wouldnt even need to feed them in the winter this would just keep them alive and dormant since you can control it with the thermostat.

She said she had heard of those things before but would still like to take her fish out for the winter. Then I said well maybe you can give me your other tank then and I can take care of everything for you here at my house. She said, no dont you worry about it. If you would rather not take care of them that's fine. I just thought it would be something to let you get your tank full of fish right away because the fish are so expensive. So I just told her that I really didnt mind taking care of her fish I just didnt want to mix them. She said that was fine and then I changed the subject and we were happy and all was good.

Then later on she came over to my house with my father in law and we were all sitting in my new living room along with my husband....and my father in law smiles and says so, you gonn take our fish this winter so we dont have to bother with them?

The Mother in law and I look at each other since obviously he is out of the loop...and my husband speaks right up and says, NO Dad, we dont want YOUR fish, we want to get our OWN fish. He goes on to say gold fish are dirtier and we already have a plan. He was very matter of fact about it. Then his Mom speaks up once again arguing that we have plenty of room and they would mix fine with the fish we want and again how expensive all the fish we want will be to stock etc....His Dad then says....That's not even the point dear....they would be helping US.

Then his Mom says....Dear, it's ok, its not that big a deal I will take care of them like I always have in the green house. And then she continued to tell my husband, I think to assert that she was right more than anything...that it would be expensive to stock the tank...and he just stopped her right there and says MOM, if I have to buy fish twice as big just to be big enough to not get eaten its not saving me anything, plus we dont want to stock that fast anyway and remember....it's NOT the first time we've done this...we're big kids mom, we can take care of it...it's ok.

Then he smiled and we all laughed and that was that!

THANK GOD my husband was there...I think I might have caved :)

So I am back on track and "happy" once again! :) :) :)

Glad it all worked out for you. I guess I forget how matter of fact (and sometimes brutally honest) I can be with my parents when they're trying to push things on other people (even my wife).

I still think some big Oscars would've been great ... sure bring them right over. Not only would you not have to take care of your goldfish, but I wouldn't have to buy feeders for a while ... LOL

Back
Top Bottom