Dinosaur bichir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a dinosaur bichir a few days ago and hes acting very wierd. Hes staying at the very top of the tank almost all the time only coming down to eat. Im not sure if somethings wrong bcus it said the swim at the bottom and need hiding spots. There are plenty of those in my tank and he hasnt even investigated them. Please help

He could still be adjusting to the new environment. Some fish take to their new homes within an hour of being put in the tank, some can take a week or so.

That was the simple version, now let's get down to other things that could be issues.

Did you cycle your tank? And by cycling I don't mean you filled it and let the filter run a few days. (some folks think that's cycling)

If the tank is cycled, what are your water parameters: ammonia, nitrAte, nitrIte, temp

What size tank and what other fish are in it.

The tank is a 29gal with a 35-50 filter and there r 7 tigerbarbs a rainbow shark and a small cory

The ph is a little high at about 7.6 but ive followed the directions perfectly to lower it and ive done it probably 4 times but it wont go down

Don't mess with the pH. Most fish can adjust to a stable pH, but when you start adding chemicals you will create spikes when the chemicals wear off. Those spikes will stress and eventually kill fish.

What are your water parameters? I agree don't try to alter PH 7.6 is still a good range for allot of fish. The barbs maybe stressing him out.

On a side note a 29 gal is really much to small for all the fish you have in there. The shark and Bichir need a 55 gallon at minimum. Cories need to be in a school for 5+.

Ok but the bichirs max size is about 8 inch and the pet store said its fine

They can get up to twelve inches and they grow pretty fast. Pet stores always sell fish for smaller tanks then they should really have so try researching fish online before buying. I learned that the hard way lol

HairlessPotter said:
They can get up to twelve inches and they grow pretty fast. Pet stores always sell fish for smaller tanks then they should really have so try researching fish online before buying. I learned that the hard way lol

O ok so i hope i dont learn it too ha

I would also watch the barbs with the bichir, they are known to be nippy and could be part of the reason the new guy is chilling at the surface.

Also bichirs will breath air, so make sure you don't top off your tank, leave about .5-1" of room at the top of the tank for it to surface and take a breath.

Hey, I have 3 bichirs in my tank. The senegal (which is the type of bichir you have) is always swimming around. They are known to be the most active bichir so it might not be a problem. I'd be careful when he is little because the barbs are fast and may get his food. But when he grows, he will try to eat the barbs. They max out at around a foot long but mine grew fast until he hit about 7 inches and has been there for about 3 months now. He is probably about half a year old.

My Bichir used to sit at the top all the time when I had an overcrowded 20g tank, now he's in a 55g and swims all the time. He and my oscar get along very well, it's a funny combo.

Back
Top Bottom