Dinosaur Bichir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thinking about getting a dinosaur Bichir. I have a 60 gallon community tank.
Are they peaceful??

And information is helpful

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thinking about getting a dinosaur Bichir. I have a 60 gallon community tank.
Are they peaceful??

And information is helpful

Thanks

The 'Dino Bichir', or Polypterus senegalus, is an excellent beginner Bichir! They're probably one of the most active Bichirs and stay at a fairly manageable size.
As with any Bichir they prefer width and length over height and I too have a 60 gallon and it's got crap width but good height. So I'm curios as to what the dimensions of your tank is?
They're peaceful but fish small enough or slow enough to fit in their mouths will likely be eaten. If the fish in with him are a good size then I wouldn't worry about him eating anything.

My tank is 48w 13d 24h. What do you think? I have a few smaller Ottos but they are fast little things. So should be okay.

Are these community fish or is it okay to just 1 by itself?

My tank is 48w 13d 24h. What do you think? I have a few smaller Ottos but they are fast little things. So should be okay.

Are these community fish or is it okay to just 1 by itself?

The Ottos are at pretty high risk due to their size, the only saving grace is their stupid speed. I personally would advise against getting one unless you remove the Ottos.
The P. senegalus is very capable of living with its own kind but are generally kept solo however In large tanks (75 gallons and up) they can easily be maintained in small groups. They do just fine solo.
What other kinds of fish are in the tank out of curiosity?

Angels, elephant nose, red tail shark, tetras, danios, albino cories, Pleco, glow fish. And netrite snails.

What do they eat? Flakes??

Agree with above poster, I would not put a Bichir with your otos. Otos are not the most observant fish, especially at night when they're sleeping. They would be easy snacks for the Bichir.

Bichir's have surprisingly large mouths when full grown, I strongly recommend taking a long hard look at your other fish sizes before getting a Bichir to go with them. Personally, I wouldn't put any fish under 4" long with one. Just because you don't think they'll fit in the Bichir's mouth, doesn't mean the Bichir knows that. There have been many accounts of people having both their Bichir and it's target tankmate die when the Bichir tried to eat it and choked.

Thanks.
After reading the post and doing some research, I probably am not going to get one. Even though it is a cool fish. I don't want to rehome any of my fish.

Thanks for all these information

Any other suggestions of a cool fish that would work in my tank.

Thanks.
After reading the post and doing some research, I probably am not going to get one. Even though it is a cool fish. I don't want to rehome any of my fish.

Thanks for all these information

Any other suggestions of a cool fish that would work in my tank.

You seem to have a pretty nice and hefty stock like it is so I'd leave it at that and call it a day :D

What's your current tank stock? Can't make suggestions unless we know what's in there :)

Edit: I apparently cant read, just saw your post earlier with the stock :p Agree with above poster that it sounds like you've got a pretty full load already.

The only safe fish are fish of comparable size. Understand that Polypterus are apex legacy fish meaning they have survived everything the Earth has gone through, 450 million years worth. Agreed Senegalus are the best for community tanks ev en Albino which only require a small covering as they are light sensitive. I have 8 genus of poly and a retropinnis variety. Of All the polys, Teugelsi is the most aggressive followed by Endlicheri, if it fits in their mouth they will try and eat it, they have poor eyesight but they have the most advanced olfactory sense, (smell) they even have receptors like an electric eel or Shark to sense bio-electro signals.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom