Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to fd1906 Send a message via MSN to fd1906
Dinosaur Eel...Need info please

Anyone have any info on Dinosaur Eels? Diet etc...

Old 09-02-2003, 11:05 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Dinosaur eel. I.e. one of four fish:

Violet Goby, Goboides broussonetti. Check it out at: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_..._fish.htm#top2

Or Polypterus senegalus meridionalis. Check it out at:
http://www.aquajapan.com/encyc/ancie...ionalis_e.html

Or Polypterus senegalus. Check it out at: http://www.aquariacentral.com/specie...h&uid=default&ID=0409&picture3_page_view=1

Or Polypterus palmas. Check it out at: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/poly-pal.htm

I'd really take my advice on this issue, though usually I'd refer you to a more senior member... Here's the deal.

If it's a violet goby, you're good to go. They will get to about 10 inches, but it's a cool fish if you have room for it, and it won't eat your other fish. It likes small meals of tubifex, brine shrimp etc.

If it is a Polypterus senegalus meridionalis (brown uniform colored body and cream underbelly), get rid of it right now! Unless you want a 2.5 foot fish on your hands in a year and a bit, and unless you're willing to buy a 200-gallon aquarium to house him (if so, good on you!).

If it is a Polypterus senegalus (grayer body and cream underbelly, otherwise identical to the meridionalis subspecies), you are looking at housing a 1.75 foot fish in a year or two.

If, however, it's a Polypterus palmas (look for the mottled lateral striping or blotches on the body), enjoy! It will only grow to a foot, but make sure you have a big enough aquarium, i.e. 90 gallons+.

Take care when you look at the websites I've posted here, and make sure you know exactly which fish you have (there is a big difference between the fish, though it is not immediately a visible difference). A lot of stores sell the Polypt. seneg. merid. as a Polypterus palmas, and most who do sell either species are unaware of how large and powerful the fish get (they are extremely strong, and very quick to jump out of the aquarium if you're transferring them to another container/tank.

If you're at all unsure, personal message me, and I will give you more info, help you to identify your specimen. It's really important you return the fish if you don't think you're going to be able to house it in a year, especially if it is a Polypterus senegalis meridionalis (most likely).

One question: did you buy the fish at Petco or Petsmart? I almost bought one at Petco (ended up buying at an LFS, and returning it (they mislabled it as a palmas)? If so, Petco seeems to sell these fish and not warn buyers of the size the fish achieves. Reprehensible behaviour on their part!

Good luck identifying, and if you feel up to housing a large fish, good luck with that! You're a better person than I am.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:11 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Oh, found a site which juxtaposes the Polypterus senegalus meridionalis and Polypterus senegalus senegalus subspecies to help you out. http://people.freenet.de/Polypterus/Bilder_Martin.html It's the eighth picture down, and the seneglus is in the foreground (older specimen), and the meridionalis is in the background (younger specimen, smaller).

However, in the next picture down, Martin Wieland has misidentified his silver fish as the senegalus meridionalis. The last picture actually depicts the senegalus senegalus subspecies.

Tags
eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com