direct sunlight and the funk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been having problems with a cloudy tank for the last week or so (plus it is beginning to smell a little funky). My tank is a 25 gal. and actually sits about 3 feet away from the window. Having live plants it has been suggested that I have the light on for 10-12 hours per day. Is it overkill to have both the light on and the curtains open? Can I simply leave the curtains open and reduce the amount of time I end up leaving the light on? I have read other posts about cloudy tanks that suggest leaving the light on for only an hour a day over the next couple of days until the haze clears. I am going to try this, but I am curious if I am still providing too much light to my tank and if I can avoid a reoccurrence in the future.

i am curious to know what your tank conditions are in referance to ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, pH, GH and KH. A funky smelling water is not generally a good thing and in my experience it indicates that there is something wrong.

I personally would avoid direct sunlight with the fish tank and then I would suggest you make more water changes and get a water testing kit.

I have had a 10 gallon close to a window and it isn't very fun. It would grow a bunch of algae on the sides of the glass and even the gravel and it didn't look very attractive. I'm pretty sure its not a good thing if your aquarium has a funky smell to it.

From what I've read on Aquariums and smell, your tank should smell like nice soil..Mine has a slight smell of "Dirt" mixed with a little bit of other smell (fish), my reading are all 0 (nh3, no2 no3). A test kit like AP Master test kit will be a great start to see if it's a problem.. Check your levels, if any are high, then try to get it under control (you can do this while treating for green water with light deprivation)

Back
Top Bottom