Dirt Cheap Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buggsmarinetank

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like some input on where you can find the cheapest (marineland) filter media, and other tank supplies on the web. I am officially done with buying anything but fish from a retail store due to me saving over 60% of the price when ordering a marineland 330 online.

I haven't looked at this specifically, but www.bigalsonline.com usually has very competitive prices in general. If you want to DIY, I've used hypo-allergenic poly-fill from Walmart pretty successfully. It does a great job polishing my water.

Forgot to mention that it's dirt cheap too. I bought a 20oz bale for $1.97 and at the rate I'm using it, it'll definitely last me all year.

bzbee said:
Forgot to mention that it's dirt cheap too. I bought a 20oz bale for $1.97 and at the rate I'm using it, it'll definitely last me all year.

OK, thats really ghetto :D . Also, thats not going to work on his type of filter as far as I know, only on canisters. But I'm really not sure what hypo-allergenic poly-fill is, so I'm just assuming.

Talking about dirt cheap filter media, my DIY canister is filled with perlite. I bought a huge bag (4 cubic feet) for about 10 bucks for potting up carnivorous plants awile back. Seems to work great so far, and I think that the amount I need to fill my canister cost me about $.12

shantyt said:
Talking about dirt cheap filter media, my DIY canister is filled with perlite. I bought a huge bag (4 cubic feet) for about 10 bucks for potting up carnivorous plants awile back. Seems to work great so far, and I think that the amount I need to fill my canister cost me about $.12

Oh yeah? I fill mine with dirt from my backyard for free. Beat that.

Just kidding, when the media costs about $10 - $20 a year total anyway, my fish are getting the best they sell. Thats just me though.

Also, thats not going to work on his type of filter as far as I know, only on canisters.

I don't have a cannister (yet). I use them on my Aquatech (=Penguin minus Biowheel) and Whisper HOBs. You can buy slightly more expensive sheets that you can cut into rectangular blocks and use them in place of sponges. They work very well for mechanical filtration, but I have a seperate Aquaclear for biological filtration. It's basically pillow stuffing, and is the exact same stuff they sell at the LFS as filter floss, just a whole lot cheaper.

seachem sells porous biomedia. Petsolutions.com and bigals.com have it. Its about $13 for a two liter jug, cheaper than the fluval or eheim brands.

Back
Top Bottom