dirty filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvmytank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My 20 gallon tank has a whisper filter, it's dirty and not filtering well. I have new filter refills, can I just put in the new one? I think I saw somewhere that I shouldn't. Fully cycled and all my numbers are good.

You can clean the filter. As for replacing the pads, I replace mine every couple of months or when they are falling apart. When you clean the filter, if you can, remove the impeller and rinse it off and clean the impeller housing. Before you start look inside the filter as it is running, If the water is going around the pad(s), the pads are clogged and reducing the water flow back into the tank.

I've never noticed any problems with the biofilter replacing the pads. I think most of the bacteria is in the gravel bed. A lot of people say to rinse the pads off in aquarium water in a bucket, but I just rinse in the sink using warm water.

Hi

A new filter shouldn't be used until yours is disintegrating. You see, it is where most of your bacteria live that process the waste "cycle" that you need.

The best thing to do is to use some of your tank water that you are removing during a water change. Rinse/rub your filter out in it. That water will fill up with the excess dirt. Your filter can then go right back in - most of your bacteria still on it. :)

I hadn't seen the post above mine. It appeared while I was writing. Good info.

Thanks! I have rinsed it before, seems clogged. The flow back into tank is almost trickled.

The reason most people will tell you to rinse the filter pad in aquarium water is because sink water hasn't been dechlorinated and the chlorine can kill some of the beneficial bacteria in the pad. Because of this, I always leave my filter off for about 10 mins after a water change just to make sure the dechlorinator has had time to fully work.

Aqua315 said:
The reason most people will tell you to rinse the filter pad in aquarium water is because sink water hasn't been dechlorinated and the chlorine can kill some of the beneficial bacteria in the pad. Because of this, I always leave my filter off for about 10 mins after a water change just to make sure the dechlorinator has had time to fully work.

+1 well Said!! please don't rinse your filter under warm water. It will cause more harm then good.

luvmytank said:
My 20 gallon tank has a whisper filter, it's dirty and not filtering well. I have new filter refills, can I just put in the new one? I think I saw somewhere that I shouldn't. Fully cycled and all my numbers are good.

I rinse my old filter in tank water when I do a water change & when I have to replace the pad I rinse that in tank water as well. I've not had any issues with water parameters when doing this. I always test my water daily for about a week after just to make sure.

luvmytank said:

Also, check all of your filter components; intake arm, impeller & all the other components. I know my intake arm can get gunked up so I clean that out as well every 2-3 wks.

luvmytank said:
Thanks! I have rinsed it before, seems clogged. The flow back into tank is almost trickled.

Clean the impeller assembly! A lot of the time this is a big problem with it. I don't have experience with the whisper, I use aquaclear and ehiem canisters. if your have a lot of gunk in the impeller it can't spin as freely and doesn't take in as much water.

Thanks for all the info! I have checked everything, it's definitely the pad.

Back
Top Bottom