Dirty sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I sort of stated my problem wrong I decided to redo my tank without buying new sand so I want to know a safe way to kill off all the bacteria on it while it not harming the tank when I put the sand back in it

I sort of stated my problem wrong I decided to redo my tank without buying new sand so I want to know a safe way to kill off all the bacteria on it while it not harming the tank when I put the sand back in it
I would just wash it, as if it was new sand. The only bacteria that would be on it, should be BB and it will not do any harm.

It's about 2 months old so washin in RO water should do?

Wash it with really hot water is what I would do. My solution to everything it to boil it.. But I don't know if you really want to boil sand...

I had a bad outbreak off something from the lfs that was killin my plant with black stuff so I wanted to make sure i was getting rid of it

I had a bad outbreak off something from the lfs that was killin my plant with black stuff so I wanted to make sure i was getting rid of it
Ok. I would go with Greenlily's suggestion then. Is it a big tank??. Would it be possible(financially) to just replace the sand with new??

The black stuff was killing your plant? Sounds like an algae issue not a lfs issue.

What light do you use and how long do you run it daily?

It's a 12gal fluval edge and the black stuff came on bamboo I bought from the lfs shop I though it was a dead spot but it spread fast and I leave it on about 8-10 hours a day because it's just planted with an algae eater so I know that's a good bit of time which prob helped it spread

Back
Top Bottom