Dirty Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to apologize for sounding like a jerk yesterday, I always do appreciate the help that is offered to me, it's just that sometimes when it's an answer I don't like pertaining to my fish I get angry, since they are living things like myself. Now I have been told in the past that that many goldfish in a 10 gallon tank is a bad thing but to understand my position you have to understand where I'm coming from in this situation.
All of the goldfish that I have are goldfish that have been mistreated very badly, some not fed for many days, some sick without even a care to help them and even some that were put together with a turtle (As unbelievable as that sounds, it's true). I decided to take these fish off the hands of these owners that aren't ready to have fish or just have no compassion. I nursed all of them back to full health but none of them were back to their former intact selves. Some of them are missing parts of their fins/tails, almost all of them have scaring, some are missing alot scales and one even had a missing tail that kind of grew back into a miniature version. I can remember that one of them was so bad with ammonia burns that you have have though that it was a black molly.
I have thought many times of giving them away to some one else but if I do that, the fish will just be in the same position they are now because no one I know will use a 50 gallon tank for goldfish. Also I cannot give them to my local petstores because they will not take goldfish (Most likely because of the condition that they look like since I did show them pictures) and one petstore was just upfront with me and said that if I give the fish to them, they will just feed them to another fish.
I have very limited space in my place so I cannot get a big tank and I honestly care very much for them but will not give them to someone else because they have already been mistreated once already. I'm not a person that went to the fish store and said "Let me get a bunch of goldfish", I'm a person that took these fish from people because the fishes option was to come with me or die.

Priest said:
I would like to apologize for sounding like a jerk yesterday, I always do appreciate the help that is offered to me, it's just that sometimes when it's an answer I don't like pertaining to my fish I get angry, since they are living things like myself. Now I have been told in the past that that many goldfish in a 10 gallon tank is a bad thing but to understand my position you have to understand where I'm coming from in this situation.
All of the goldfish that I have are goldfish that have been mistreated very badly, some not fed for many days, some sick without even a care to help them and even some that were put together with a turtle (As unbelievable as that sounds, it's true). I decided to take these fish off the hands of these owners that aren't ready to have fish or just have no compassion. I nursed all of them back to full health but none of them were back to their former intact selves. Some of them are missing parts of their fins/tails, almost all of them have scaring, some are missing alot scales and one even had a missing tail that kind of grew back into a miniature version. I can remember that one of them was so bad with ammonia burns that you have have though that it was a black molly.
I have thought many times of giving them away to some one else but if I do that, the fish will just be in the same position they are now because no one I know will use a 50 gallon tank for goldfish. Also I cannot give them to my local petstores because they will not take goldfish (Most likely because of the condition that they look like since I did show them pictures) and one petstore was just upfront with me and said that if I give the fish to them, they will just feed them to another fish.
I have very limited space in my place so I cannot get a big tank and I honestly care very much for them but will not give them to someone else because they have already been mistreated once already. I'm not a person that went to the fish store and said "Let me get a bunch of goldfish", I'm a person that took these fish from people because the fishes option was to come with me or die.

We all get angry when we get advice we don't want to here. Good on you for understanding why the people on this forum get equally upset when they hear of fish being abused. However, the problem still exist, before you know it, these fish will outgrow this tank. When this happens, 100% of the time they die. Normally do to toxic levels of ammonia. It always seems to work out until months down the road when the first problems (like now) start to occur. You need a long term solution to this potentially short term problem.

Money was never the issue for me when it comes to buying a new tank, it's space. I've been thinking of where to put a 50 gallon tank if I do get one but haven't found any place of where to put it. Although if I can find or make some kind of shelf where I can put my 30 gallon tank and then put a 50 gallon tank on top of that it would be good because I have vertical space but not horizontal space.

I have thought many times of giving them away to some one else but if I do that, the fish will just be in the same position they are now because no one I know will use a 50 gallon tank for goldfish.

You have more options. We rehome fish three ways, one is to the lfs, which you indicate won't work for you.

Another is by listing an ad on craigslist. If people have to spend money on something, they will usually take better care of it. That's why when we adopt dogs out, we ask for an adoption fee. It helps weed out the people who don't really care. With your concerns, that might be the way to go.

The third method is by giving fish away on freecycle. I get all the stats from these folks about what tanks they have, what fish they already have, etc. to feel them out as to the care level I think they can give (I also do this on craigslist). I was able to rehome my rainbow shark to someone with 125 gallon tank using this method.

It's wonderful what you've done to bring these fish back from death's doorstep. Now, it's time for them to achieve the next level by having a proper tank, either with you, or with someone else.

:flowers:

Also, check out the places that Linda mentioned for tanks and stands. Perhaps you could find a stacking setup like you were talking about. I feel the pain of trying to find places for tanks to go, I just moved and it was a struggle finding places for all 4 tanks to go in the new home. Ended up giving up some of my counter space in my kitchen for one of the small ones. Also, if money is not an issue, perhaps you could fit a 20 tall where the 10 is now. It isn't much more of a footprint but it will give you a temporary fix by way of more water volume,

Also, check out the places that Linda mentioned for tanks and stands. Perhaps you could find a stacking setup like you were talking about. I feel the pain of trying to find places for tanks to go, I just moved and it was a struggle finding places for all 4 tanks to go in the new home. Ended up giving up some of my counter space in my kitchen for one of the small ones. Also, if money is not an issue, perhaps you could fit a 20 tall where the 10 is now. It isn't much more of a footprint but it will give you a temporary fix by way of more water volume,

Well I do have another 10 gallon tank that I use as a hospital, maybe until I get a bigger tank I can split them up so that they have a bit more room. I am really weary about giving them to someone else because of the condition that they are in, I can't sell them (No one will buy them). Also if I have even the smallest inkling that the fish will become fish food I won't give them away. The best example that I can give you all is as if I had a dog with a missing eye, how many people are going to take a one eye dog, some people will but most won't.

Splitting them up will be helpful for now. It may buy you another couple months if you keep up the water changes.

Back
Top Bottom