Disappearing Fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i did some tank maint. the other day. The usual water and filter change. Well, i went to work and took a look at my dwarf gouarmi to make sure he was still ok after the water change (since hes only a week old in that tank) and he was fine swimming around all happy. I came home about 8 hrs later and checked in there again.....GONE!!! I looked everywhere in the tank (not hard since its only 10 gal) I checked all around the tank to see if he had jumped out and found nothing. There is a 3 in by 1 in hole that the HOB filter shares and would be the only way for him to jump out. Now the wierd thing...i looked everywhere around the tank and didnt find him. My only explination is that he had to jump out of the tank and clear about 3 1/2 feet of counter to make it to the floor and inevitably the dogs mouth.

Anybody experiance this with a DG?

I've experienced it with an auratus... Check all the little places in the tank though, when i first started, i found fish in some of the oddest places

did you check inside the filter? I recently had a clown do a similar trick about two weeks ago. Still hasn't shown up, so I am leaning towards the permanent disappearing trick. You would be amazed how far they can move though once they get out of the tank. I have never had a DG, but I know most fish don't really plan ahead about what is the best way to escape their tank...

Thing about the filter is, the intake for it has slits that not even a neon could fit through, but i did check it anyways.

I took all the decor out and checked in and around anything i mean really hard cuz my wife was freakin out (her fav. fish :( too)

oh, if its just neons in the tank, i seriously doubt it then. Just keep a check on your parameters just in case it is hiding in there somewhere, you'll see the ammonia spike in a few days if it is. If you checked it though, id put money on the dogs. You could always smell their breath..

I don't think the dog would actually eat a fresh live fish...unless it was starving. Maybe the dog played with it while it flapped around, then hid it some where around the house when it died.

Uh..lets see its been over two weeks. I recently got a 20 gal long and as i was doing the transfer i noticed it and WOW did it smell bad!!!

Well, i do 40 percent changes a week and since that was a new tank i wasnt quite sure if it was just the normal tanks progress,but the levels really didnt spike to the point where i was worried. If im being honest though i dont check them regularly so i really only noticed a small spike during the week before i found it so i guess im lucky i found it.

My gold Gouramis was my oldest fish and then one day, he jumped out the back.

jumping gourami , batman!

my flame gourami would jump.. he got out and eaten by the cat. He was Very territorial and got angry with the other fish, the pump, the heater, the rocks.. etc. i assume he managed to find an open spot and got thru. Sorry for your loss :(

Thing about the filter is, the intake for it has slits that not even a neon could fit through, but i did check it anyways.

I took all the decor out and checked in and around anything i mean really hard cuz my wife was freakin out (her fav. fish :( too)

I had a zebra fish that swam against the HOB filter outflow and ended up inside the filter.

My clown loach went missing for two days, i got really worried I couldn't find him, so I took everything out of the tank, when i took the last peace out he was under a sea shell that must of fell, he was all pale and slowly wobbled out, and survived! Tank goodness he looked like he was on his last leg, well I guess fin in this case. Happy you found him, sad how you found him :(

Back
Top Bottom