Disappearing Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish2345

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

We can’t figure out what is going on with our 55 Gallon Freshwater Tank. Fish keep disappearing, so far we have lost:

1-Male Sword Tail- young
1-Female Sword Tail- young
2-Siver Tipped Tetras- adult
2-Glo Danios- young
2-Guppys- young
5-Ghost Shrimp- young

We have a tight fitting lid, levels are great, and there is absolutely no sign of the missing fish. Since the disappearing acts have begun the surviving tank mates that have been consistent are: 1 Dwarf Albino Clawed Frog, 1 Wide Mouth Pleco, 1 Opaline Gourami, 3 Siver Tipped Tetras, 4 Mollys, and several snails.

Since they started to disappear the tank has been sick and the sick fish we found dead. The Frog has been around long before fish started to disappear. Most of the fish that disappear go missing within 2 weeks of purchasing them.

Any advice is appreciated. Last night we lost 1 Glo Danio and 2 Guppys.

Thanks

No the frog is not fatter, it was one of our guesses too (I wouldn't be surprised if he is responsible for one or two of the little ones though). Some of the fish were too big for him.

Swordtails are jumpers. Have you looked behind and around the tank? Also if there is a disease running in your tank, a possibility is once they die, they get quickly consumed by another fish.

You say your set up is tight and water levels are good so this might not apply but I actually saw one of my fish jump out the tank. Luckily I was there to scoop him up and put him back in. He was stunned but had survived.

Later that same night I was checking the cabinet and I found an OB that I had noticed was missing. My guess is he jumped out the back of the tank and somehow managed to flap his way into the counter. He didn't make it.

I changed all my bigger fish to a larger tank with no openings.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How big is your gourami? The opalines can get big enough to eat small fish.

The ghost shrimp could have easily died and gotten eaten.

Lastly, what exactly are your levels at?

Back
Top Bottom