Disappearing Fish & Eaten Tails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonvking

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 60l tank with the following inhabitants
4x marine frogs, 3x fire bellied newts, 1x dragon gobi, 2x rope fish, 1x male siamese fighting fish, 1x female white Molly, 1x small angel fish, 5x neon guppies & 4x danio's

My problem is when i turn the light on in the morning I'm eaither missing a fish i had last night or one of them is missing all or part of a tail. My Siamese fighting fish has took a lot of hits and I've had 1 angel fish and 2 danios disappear and 1 white Molly and 2x sun platies loose tails.

Can anyone give me a clue as to who the culprite is. Most inhabitants are chilled and keep self to themselves in the day. The white Molly is aggresive and she's my number 1 suspect but I'm not 100% sure. stopped feeding them at night, which I hoped I'd stopped it until this morning a guppy had the middle of its tail missing.

Can anyone help please? Thanks

I don't have an answer for who, but...
Not feeding at night might make it worse. Instead of getting a fully belly on "free food", the culprit may go hunting instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks very much. I actually did the opposite as i thought if I fed them late they mistake a co-habitant for food. It did seem to slow down the attacks but this morning I've turned on the lights and i think 2 guppy's have gone! One that had the middle of it's tail nipped is still going ok but not sure where the other two have gone in the night.

The frogs are the most likely culprit, but depending on the size of the newt and ropefish, they also could be doing it. The newt shouldn't be with the rest because of temperature incompatibility--they need a way to get out of the water and like temps in the upper 60s to low 70s, which isn't good for the rest of your stock. Would you consider moving the amphibians to their own tank?

Thanks for all your comments. I didnt think it would be the frogs. My money was on an aggressive white female Molly or the dragon gobi.

The newts seem to be chilled. They sit on a piece of driftwood on top of a tree and keep warm under the fluescent light. The rope fish sit up in the tree along with the siamese. In the day it all seems chilled in there. Then the light goes off and fish disappear.

What's a marine frog? I've heard of marine toads but not frogs. This tank has all sorts of issues: compatability, overstocked, mixing amphibian species, etc. I'd rehome most of the stock and research what you want. Otherwise you're gonna keep losing animals to whatever is eating them.

What's a marine frog? I've heard of marine toads but not frogs. This tank has all sorts of issues: compatability, overstocked, mixing amphibian species, etc. I'd rehome most of the stock and research what you want. Otherwise you're gonna keep losing animals to whatever is eating them.

I agree with bribo 100% on this.

Back
Top Bottom