Disaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luna112

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home Saturday night to find my fish tank a disaster. Broken filter. No air stone. And super milky. What happened was that my little brother decided to do a water change by himself. He took my filter apart and washed it with tap water till it was squeaky clean.
I almost had a heart Attack. but anyways, I've been doing pwc everyday while using prime to detoxify my ammonia which was thru the roof. My tank is recycling ): I added a really big bottle of superBac nitrifying bacteria. So far I've lost an African butterfly, and a bristlenose pleco. I added a second filter and fixed the first one. I also added a new airstone. Well if you guys have another advice on what to do please help.
Ps. My coworker gave me his 3 month old emperor 400 pad, so I cu it up and stuck it into my filter. He has a 210 up for 6 years now. His tank only had ich the first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Im sorry and Best of Luck! Just keep doing with PWC's everyday (Great choice on using the Prime ;) ) and watch your parameters. If your co-workers pad had good bacteria on it, the tank should be re-cycled in no time :)

Yeah I agree the seeding will help a lot. Also, don't be too angry with your brother it sounds like he was doing something nice. This is your chance to explain how things work. :)

+1 This is an excellent teaching moment. Your brother is showing interest and wants to help. I've read a reef thread where someone's kid added milk to the reef tank because he heard his dad say the calcium was low.

If you got a pad full of live bacteria, hopefully you'll be running clean shortly. Keep up the PWCs until then.

I've read a reef thread where someone's kid added milk to the reef tank because he heard his dad say the calcium was low.

Sorry to thread hijack, but that's an awesome story. I'm sure it was probably a disaster but it's very cute nonetheless. :)

Thanks you guys. I've told me brother not to touch the tank unless I'm there. He felt really bad ): I did another pwc today. I'm changing 10 gallons a day. Is that fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom