Disaster (or so it appeared)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank has been going very well - with the plants growing like gangbusters, and fish seem to be healthy and growing as well.

My most resent bottle change (DIY CO2) produced insane amounts of gas early-on, but came to a stop last night (only about a week and a half). So this morning, I prepped a new bottle. When I swapped it out, all looked good so I left the house to run some errands.

My wife called while I was out and said the tank was seriously cloudy - couldn't even see the plants or fish. My first thought - my youngest daughter had gotten into the food again (had an episode months back where she "fed" the fish... nearly wiped the tank out). Then I remember - new bottle for the DIY CO2... So I have her check, and sure enough - the airline tubing is full of foam, and the tank is full of yeast....

So - After a huge water change, and a bit of tank clarifier (I really don't like using that stuff) - tank is back to clear.

I guess I had the bottle a little too full and/or the yeast was super-over active. All seems well now.

So - what ill effects might having some yeast flow into the tank might one see?

The tank is nearly back to "crystal clear" again... only a very slight "haze" remains.

Also put in a new filter pad in the Emperor 400 (with carbon), as I haven't been running any carbon - seems to kind of defeat the purpose of running the CO2 plus Excel- but I figured it wouldn't hurt as I wanted to try to "suck" up as much of the "byproducts" as I could at the time.

Anyway - will be keeping an eye on things...

The yeast should not be a problem, some fry eat it as first food. The alcohol would be the dangerous part, since the bottle was new little would have been produced. I think you will be good, I would do another water change and add fresh carbon to your filter for the next two weeks.

Do you use a gas separator bottle between your fermenter(s) and the tank?

diy-co2-system.jpg

I use on that's filled half way with water so it catches any foam that's produced and also serves as a visual bubble counter...

Back
Top Bottom