Discarding old test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spilzer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently bought a new API Freshwater Master Test Kit to replace my old and expired one. I thought that maybe some of the chemicals used in the tests might not be the kind of things you just want to chuck in the trash. So I thought I would check with the venerable knowledge base here at AA to learn what the proper way to dispose of expired testing reagents is. Does anyone have any idea?

Before I toss the test kits I empty them into the sink with plenty of water. I'm not sure about the chemicals in regards to sitting in the dump, but one of my cats tends to pull stuff out of the trash. I dont' want her to get ahold of one of the bottles and poison herself. I never thought about the chemicals sitting in the dump and the harm they can cause. Excellent question.

I checked with my Biology teacher (44 and going back to school - I have to be freaking nuts). He said empty the bottle contents in and old container - fill that container with water - dump the container in the drain - and flush with plenty of warm water - the chemicals present no biological threat to the environment -- Hey! I actually learned something in Biology! :p

Chemists like to say: dilution is the solution for pollution!
The test kits contain some toxic chemicals (cadmium for one), but they're such small quantities that they won't cause a problem if they're disposed down the sink followed by lots of water.

Now for the off-topic rant: I wish the politicians would stop paying lip service to environmentalism when it suits them and just provide us with weekly (I'd even settle for monthly) curbside toxic-household-waste pickup service. As it stands now, if I want to get rid of household chemicals in a manner that soothes my conscience, I have to store them for 6 months and drop them off at other side of the county on a Saturday between 12 and 2 PM. Otherwise, it's perfectly legal for me to toss empty household cleaner, bug spray, and furniture finish cans in the regular trash.

Back
Top Bottom