Discovery about python water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I was doing a water change tonight. The only difference was that I was alone. I usually have my mom help me because our sink doesn't have the best drainage and she empties the water out into the toilet with a bowl as it gets too high.

So this time I was prepared to take breaks while draining the tank because I knew I'd have to wait for the sink to drain. I had kept the end of the python in my tank and I went to turn off the sink to let it drain. Lo and behold, once I turned off the water I noticed the water was still draining from my tank!!!

I actually feel a bit stupid I never realized it before but as long at the water pressure is there to get it started, it's not necessary after that as long as the end of the python stays submerged. Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has a clogged sink or a need to cut down on their water bill lol :lol:

I don't use the sink attachment to drain my tank. I just open a door or window near the tank and let it siphon outside. When I'm ready to fill, I hook it up and fill back up.

I thought that too but tried it out and it did not work for me. Maybe I didn't have it submerged all the way ?

I thought that too but tried it out and it did not work for me. Maybe I didn't have it submerged all the way ?
maybe. I did have it running with the water for a few minutes before I noticed it so maybe it just built up a lot a lot of pressure to feed off of. I won't be sure until I try it again next time.

I have the green python and I do it by gravity. My tank sites about 30" from the floor. Al I do with mine is fill the tube and then just raise it above the tank to get it started the other end is in the shower. I tried the faucet thing didn't see difference in sucction.

I remember the same thing happened to me, but when I tried to reproduce it next time I changed my water, I was unsuccessful. Let me know if you figure it out.

I'm currently in the process of another water change and was able to repeat what happened last time. As long as you make sure the water pressure from the sink gets it started it should work. You do have to wait until the water coming from the aquarium reaches the output valve on the sink though for the pressure to build high enough for it to continue draining.

As long as the drain end is lower then the input end you will have a siphon going. It will always drain. If the sink side is higher then the tank side, it wont siphon. I always lay mine out the door and start the siphon. WOrks well. And waters the flowers. :)

Ronnie

As long as the drain end is lower then the input end you will have a siphon going. It will always drain. If the sink side is higher then the tank side, it wont siphon. I always lay mine out the door and start the siphon. WOrks well. And waters the flowers. :)

Ronnie

I skimmed this post waiting for someone to say that. Its simple physics. I'd get into the long version of why that works but I'll let you read it yourself(y):

How Does a Siphon Work?

The biggest thing is the water level (not the level where you have the end of the gravel vac or whatever you use). As long as you keep the output lower than the water level you'll always keep the water flowing.

I have the "manual Vac" and the API Sink VAC..The API sink vac was nice for me becuase I have the option to "stop" move stuff in the tank or stir up spots under deco and stuff where i know its dirty and restart the vac at the flip of a switch...refilling with out the "sink" vac was a pain I used to use a gallon jug, and for a larger tank its a pain...being able to just flip the other switch and refill was well worth the money...We also have a well so my tap water goes straight in the tank if you modify the ventrui at the end it will increase vac pressure when on the sink...

Back
Top Bottom