Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishheadsoup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I now have 2 blues in with the angels and all seems ok for now. When I had just the one in there it seemed like the angels got to all of the food first. These discus are on the expensive side, but to me they are one of the best looking freshwater fish that there is. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you fishhead. Although some have had success keeping discus with angels I feel it adds undue stress to the discus for just the reason you mention. Angels are much more aggressive feeders than discus. Discus (especially juveniles), usually will be more timid and are apt to not eat enough. This can lead to overfeeding which can quickly create larger problems for the discus. They need extremely pristine water or they will succumb to a variety of illnesses.

Two is not a good number for discus in an aquarium unless they are a spawning pair. Discus are a schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of at least 5-6 in order to reduce stress and in order for them to feel comfortable. You should get 3-4 more for your tank and find a new home for the angels until the discus are large enough. Not only will the tank get dirty if they are too shy to eat, but you will also end up with stunted discus that will be unhealthy and unattractive.

These 4 fish have been in the same tank for over a year and now they are back together in my tank. I will keep a close eye on them and watch how they do. Thanks for the info.

I'll get some others for them to hang with as soon as I can, these guys around here go for 60 to 90 bucks each depending on the size. I did think about putting a divider in the tank for a bit, do you guys think this will work for added "security" ?

Yes. That will allow the discus to feed at their pace.

fishheadsoup - May I ask where you purchased your discus from, the size of the fish, and can you post pictures? I'm not sure how many you are looking to get nor where you located but I can most likely set you up with someone that has more variety of quality discus for better prices.

These were a gift and they are about 3 inches long. Don't have any pics of the guys yet. I'm down here in Alabama by the way, and you can find these fish in the 40 buck range at some pet stores, but I don't think they are quality like some of the better fish dealers in the area.

Back
Top Bottom