Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i did 50% on my 29 today and 20% on the 55 today cause i wanted to not cause alot of stress with it being his first day in the tank, but i have a few days off next week, i can get a 50% done.. the thing was the lemon and the one i have were a pair, they were separated in her tanks due to no room, now, mine is alone..

That sounds pretty normal. Especially because he's probably stressed from the move and amongst some hyper fish. If you are leaning towards discus, I'd say to go for it and rehome some of the other fish. Discus need higher temps and calmer surroundings than most other fish.

Have you tested your tap water? Knowing that will give you a baseline. We are lucky to have nice soft water here which lends itself to most SA fish.

This is quoted from my Aquarium USA magazine, Keeping Discus article:
"While many discus (especially those bred in the US) are claimed to do well in hard/alkaline water, this is not the best way to keep them. Discus do best in soft (hardness well below 10) and acidic (pH 6.5 or lower) water. Unless you can purchase discus locally and you see them in hard/alkaline water, success will be very limited in hard/alkaline water."

my water is very hard here. the ph i know is a little high for discus i think at a 7 or 8 my mardel test strips suck.lol and the nitites and nitrates are at 0. my alkilinity is normal.

my water is very hard here. the ph i know is a little high for discus i think at a 7 or 8 my mardel test strips suck.lol and the nitites and nitrates are at 0. my alkilinity is normal.
You should try the liquid test kits, specifically API Master Test Kit, it costs more than strips but is way more accurate.

ive seen those and have access to them theyre about 30 bucks here. i wont be able to instantly rehome anyone untill i haves ome gas money. but which ones would you guys reccomend i rehome? i wouldnt mind if my discus was the only fish, cause i could move my serpaes, neons, bloodfins into the 55 with him.

Could potentially be a problem. Check with your friend on what water conditions it was kept at exactly and get a liquid reagent kit so that you can know yours exactly. Discus aren't necessarily hard to keep, they just have different needs from a lot of fish.

Wow, I am so jealous! Lucky duck!

Quack, quack. I feel very fortunate everyday to have our water as a starting point for things. That could all change soon because of water politics though. :ermm:

i think i remember her saying it was raised on a ph of 7. im not too sure. but i can always check. i know eventually my sd's and angels will be the biggest fish in there, so they will probably have to go.

Could potentially be a problem. Check with your friend on what water conditions it was kept at exactly and get a liquid reagent kit so that you can know yours exactly. Discus aren't necessarily hard to keep, they just have different needs from a lot of fish.

Quack, quack. I feel very fortunate everyday to have our water as a starting point for things. That could all change soon because of water politics though. :ermm:

True, they're sort of different fish that make them stand out. What water politics? The only water politics I know of is the control of the Colorado River between CA and AZ.

ive seen those and have access to them theyre about 30 bucks here. i wont be able to instantly rehome anyone untill i haves ome gas money. but which ones would you guys reccomend i rehome? i wouldnt mind if my discus was the only fish, cause i could move my serpaes, neons, bloodfins into the 55 with him.

I would rehome all the fish in your tank to another 55 gallon when you have the money to, IMO. Bloodfins are great. I'd be careful with neons cuz they could be eaten, and the serpaes too cuz they might be too overactive for discus.

and the serpaes could be nippy in lower numbers. i mean, once i can find some space, i could do another tank, maybe the 90 i was talking about. i do have a good group of fish in the 55, and id hate to get rid of them. ive had the sd's for about 2 years. ill find a way to fix it.

i think i remember her saying it was raised on a ph of 7. im not too sure. but i can always check. i know eventually my sd's and angels will be the biggest fish in there, so they will probably have to go.

IMO for a 55 you need to decide on angels OR discus. When and if a pair form, the discus will suffer.

True, they're sort of different fish that make them stand out. What water politics? The only water politics I know of is the control of the Colorado River between CA and AZ.

Probably similar... Control of the Chatahoochee. Contested by 3 states and our county's access is being called into question. Even though the reservoir and hydro electric plant created and maintained by the Army corps is in this county. FW mussels in Fl and water for a nuke plant in Al factor in. Go figure....

I would rehome all the fish in your tank to another 55 gallon when you have the money to, IMO. Bloodfins are great. I'd be careful with neons cuz they could be eaten, and the serpaes too cuz they might be too overactive for discus.

I generally agree. Neons would likely be ok with discus, but cardinals grow a bit larger and tend to be hardier. Nippier and/or hyper tetra should be avoided. They also need to be suitable to higher water temps.

and the serpaes could be nippy in lower numbers. i mean, once i can find some space, i could do another tank, maybe the 90 i was talking about. i do have a good group of fish in the 55, and id hate to get rid of them. ive had the sd's for about 2 years. ill find a way to fix it.

MTS time. lol. Keep a close eye out and be prepared to rehome, adjust, etc. It may work temporarily, a lot does, just be prepped for the longer term and you'll be fine and your fish will end up happy and old.

Back
Top Bottom