Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samdaman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Know how hard they are to keep but it is a kind of dream of mine to have a huge discus tank in the lounge( I know it's a weird dream) but tell me everything I need to know because I only have a basic knowledge of discus. This tank is still a dream nothing is happening yet

Amongst the hardest of freshwater fish to properly maintain and keep healthy.

Tri weekly water changes minimum.

Nitrates ideally want to be kept below 10ppm and definitely below 20ppm.

An acidic ph of 6.5-7 is ideal for their wellbeing.

Some people change water daily with discus. The cleaner the water the better and it can even effect their growth.

What are the parameters of your tap water as they are extremely important? Most serious discus keepers with use remineralised ro water.

I don't think discus are terribly difficult to keep, but they definitely require a commitment of a lot more attention than your standard FW community tank. Adult fish are often fairly hardy, but nice adult fish are very expensive. Juvenile fish are much cheaper, but as molliwopp points out, feeding and water change schedule has an enormous impact on not only their growth rate, but also their adult size. This is why you hear about some discus keepers doing daily water changes of nearly 100% for their young discus. Young discus must be fed heavily, and to maintain perfect water quality for them requires large, frequent water changes. I know someone that breeds show quality discus locally, and he changes all the water on his juvenile tanks every day... plus he feeds 3 or 4 times a day, something like that. It depends on what your local tap water is like, but as molliwopp said, a lot of serious discus hobbyists use RO water.

Back
Top Bottom