Discus Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and gals....thinking if dipping back into discus...Super Red Turquoise Discus Fish . The water parameters are the sticking point. My tank currently runs at a 7.0 PH maybe a bit lower. I use very purified water that is soft. Nitrates and nitrogen are ZERO. Planted heavily for discus and a lot of root driftwood in a 55 gal. Going to a 75 gal later. I am looking to get 5 to 6 2 in. of these guys. Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to whoever chimes in.

Ph is fine, current quality stock will thrive. I wouldn't get 2" though.. if you have the mature planted tank try spending up on some adults. They'll do much better on your setup. Little guys need lots of food and lots of wcs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am not adverse to water changes. And lots of feedings I don't mind. I love nurturing animals. Any kind of pets. I have had aquariums since the 4th grade. I am 46 now. I have cats, baseball size hermit crabs and have raised most kinds of fish from infants to adult. I just lost a blue gourami had for 6 years! Yes...there was a funeral. LOL. Big Blue was a part of my family. So .....do I have your blessing for the young 'ens? :)

3 feedings a day with a daily wc.. Probably 30 gallons a day until they hit the 3" mark. Almost be better off setting up a bare bottom grow out tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I’m growing six checkerboard Discus I feed them 5 times a day twice on a feeder when at work daily water changes and 87.5 Fahrenheit
Made my own food from YouTube video IMG_1705.jpg

Don't want to argue here but what I see is that its just the hype. Discus fish is not something out of this world. To me neon tetras are more fragile than discus. However its always good to buy medium to adult discus and put either two or six. More in numbers will increase there chance of accepting food in new tank since they are competitive feeders. I never seen fish store owners do daily water changes and yet I see them same fish in Stock for months. To each his own but daily water changing process is stressful to fish in my opinion. Again I am a newbie but what I see is that if fish store can keep it then every one can keep it because usually store is not very caring to fish. With proper tank size and good water and good food dicsus is not a problem and is not as fragile as people make it. Like I said it is best to have them in more numbers because there main problem is that they are picky eaters so when more are in a tank they start eating eventually one by one.

Don't want to argue here but what I see is that its just the hype. Discus fish is not something out of this world. To me neon tetras are more fragile than discus. However its always good to buy medium to adult discus and put either two or six. More in numbers will increase there chance of accepting food in new tank since they are competitive feeders. I never seen fish store owners do daily water changes and yet I see them same fish in Stock for months. To each his own but daily water changing process is stressful to fish in my opinion. Again I am a newbie but what I see is that if fish store can keep it then every one can keep it because usually store is not very caring to fish. With proper tank size and good water and good food dicsus is not a problem and is not as fragile as people make it. Like I said it is best to have them in more numbers because there main problem is that they are picky eaters so when more are in a tank they start eating eventually one by one.
Couldn't be more wrong. I respect your opinion, on adult discus you can be a little more lax, but juvies DO require a greater amount if care. And no, numbers alone don't quarantee they'll always eat eventually.

Brookster123 is entirely right. In most instances, with other fish, I would agree your correct they will survive in less than the ideal situations we strive to create. Juvenile discus are the exception to that theory.

Couldn't be more wrong. I respect your opinion, on adult discus you can be a little more lax, but juvies DO require a greater amount if care. And no, numbers alone don't quarantee they'll always eat eventually.

Brookster123 is entirely right. In most instances, with other fish, I would agree your correct they will survive in less than the ideal situations we strive to create. Juvenile discus are the exception to that theory.
Yes Sir I said about medium to adults. Juveniles I have no experience at all.

OMG guy these fish are so gorgeous you make me want to cry that I can't have them!!!! Stupid liquid rock! Sorry didn't mean to interrupt!

OMG guy these fish are so gorgeous you make me want to cry that I can't have them!!!! Stupid liquid rock! Sorry didn't mean to interrupt!
They are indeed very gorgeous. When I see discus I always see them as highly sophisticated fish like if they enter restaurant they will dine with fork and spoon. They are very classy fish indeed and you guys have some very gorgeous looking fish.

Great advice guys. Thank you all! I do have another question. What about filtration? I have an AQ 110 and a 50. I feel like its too much current for discus. Any advice on what I could do better or leave it alone?

Since you are here seeking advise from those who have raised discus, ill give my two-cents. Sadly, 2 inch discus will not fare well in a planted tank- for numerous reasons. But, the biggest reason will be due to food and waste getting trapped in areas that you are unable to see. With the many high-protein feedings that they need while growing ( 4-5 daily) wont take long for their fragile immune systems to deteriorate under these conditions. They will succumb to disease and parasites they normally would not be affected by in the proper environment.
As the discus grows in size, their immune systems strengthen exponentially. At three and four inches they may be able to survive this type of environment, but, their growth will be sub-par.
But, you know, the choice is up to you.

I've done extensive research on raising/growing discus. Talk directly with a breeder whenever I have a question/concern. He does the same and on down the line it goes. Beliefs and practices regarding feeding, temp and even tank background colors can vary but one theme rings true. In order to properly grow out discus you're going to be feeding messy foods 4-5x a day and changing 60-99% of the water at least once a day. It's worked for me so far...

Ok...How bout filtration. I have an AQ 110 and 50 and feel it is too much current. Any good recommendations om filtration? Any advice?

Sponge filters seemed to be the preferred method of filtration for these guys, i.like aquatop. I have an ac 70 on both my disc tanks loaded with bio. I keep them to the far right side to provide a calm side. They swim in the outflow so I don't think it's too much. You have a tall tank so it should be ok.

I wouldn't, they get nasty, unless you clean the thing religiously

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom