Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question Discus Advice

Hey guys and gals....thinking if dipping back into discus...Super Red Turquoise Discus Fish . The water parameters are the sticking point. My tank currently runs at a 7.0 PH maybe a bit lower. I use very purified water that is soft. Nitrates and nitrogen are ZERO. Planted heavily for discus and a lot of root driftwood in a 55 gal. Going to a 75 gal later. I am looking to get 5 to 6 2 in. of these guys. Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to whoever chimes in.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ph is fine, current quality stock will thrive. I wouldn't get 2" though.. if you have the mature planted tank try spending up on some adults. They'll do much better on your setup. Little guys need lots of food and lots of wcs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not adverse to water changes. And lots of feedings I don't mind. I love nurturing animals. Any kind of pets. I have had aquariums since the 4th grade. I am 46 now. I have cats, baseball size hermit crabs and have raised most kinds of fish from infants to adult. I just lost a blue gourami had for 6 years! Yes...there was a funeral. LOL. Big Blue was a part of my family. So .....do I have your blessing for the young 'ens?
Old 09-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

3 feedings a day with a daily wc.. Probably 30 gallons a day until they hit the 3" mark. Almost be better off setting up a bare bottom grow out tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Iím growing six checkerboard Discus I feed them 5 times a day twice on a feeder when at work daily water changes and 87.5 Fahrenheit
Made my own food from YouTube video Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	304467
Old 10-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't want to argue here but what I see is that its just the hype. Discus fish is not something out of this world. To me neon tetras are more fragile than discus. However its always good to buy medium to adult discus and put either two or six. More in numbers will increase there chance of accepting food in new tank since they are competitive feeders. I never seen fish store owners do daily water changes and yet I see them same fish in Stock for months. To each his own but daily water changing process is stressful to fish in my opinion. Again I am a newbie but what I see is that if fish store can keep it then every one can keep it because usually store is not very caring to fish. With proper tank size and good water and good food dicsus is not a problem and is not as fragile as people make it. Like I said it is best to have them in more numbers because there main problem is that they are picky eaters so when more are in a tank they start eating eventually one by one.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Don't want to argue here but what I see is that its just the hype. Discus fish is not something out of this world. To me neon tetras are more fragile than discus. However its always good to buy medium to adult discus and put either two or six. More in numbers will increase there chance of accepting food in new tank since they are competitive feeders. I never seen fish store owners do daily water changes and yet I see them same fish in Stock for months. To each his own but daily water changing process is stressful to fish in my opinion. Again I am a newbie but what I see is that if fish store can keep it then every one can keep it because usually store is not very caring to fish. With proper tank size and good water and good food dicsus is not a problem and is not as fragile as people make it. Like I said it is best to have them in more numbers because there main problem is that they are picky eaters so when more are in a tank they start eating eventually one by one.
Couldn't be more wrong. I respect your opinion, on adult discus you can be a little more lax, but juvies DO require a greater amount if care. And no, numbers alone don't quarantee they'll always eat eventually.

Brookster123 is entirely right. In most instances, with other fish, I would agree your correct they will survive in less than the ideal situations we strive to create. Juvenile discus are the exception to that theory.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
Couldn't be more wrong. I respect your opinion, on adult discus you can be a little more lax, but juvies DO require a greater amount if care. And no, numbers alone don't quarantee they'll always eat eventually.

Brookster123 is entirely right. In most instances, with other fish, I would agree your correct they will survive in less than the ideal situations we strive to create. Juvenile discus are the exception to that theory.
Yes Sir I said about medium to adults. Juveniles I have no experience at all.

Tags
advice, discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com