Discus and beta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It actually may not be that bad of an idea but there are some issues that could get in the way of this idea. They both like the same temps, they look nothing alike so the betta shouldn't attack him or do anything but flare or anything. Now all bettas are different. Some bettas live perfectly fine with other fish while others kill anything else. I've had both so mix them carefully. You could try introducing the betta seeing how they react and going from there. If it doesn't work out within the first hour or so then just remove him. Now if the tanks too deep the betta cannot go in it. Bettas like shallow tanks so they can easily reach the top for air, if the tanks too tall he'll become worn out, tired and stressed. And I'm no discus expert but I do believe they like tall tanks. Again it may work it may not it depends on a few pretty major factors

You need to be careful, I once added a male crowntail betta to my 55 gallon community, and ripped apart 4 fish over night
I now have a veil tail that has been in tere for about 3 months now and he is perfectly fine, and remember, you gotta keep that tank very tidy!

Hmmm, discus in a community scenario with a betta i would maybe say yes. But if they are mature and have been kept alone my instinct says no. They would be able kill the betta quickly. If theyre juvi and small and tolerate the betta it could work. Discus can be community kept and people keep things like tetra in a discus tank in them all the time, theyre fast and the discus would have a hard time catching them even if they wanted too. A betta on the other hand wouldn't be able to escape and might just get bullied to death.

Last edited:
You need to be careful, I once added a male crowntail betta to my 55 gallon community, and ripped apart 4 fish over night I now have a veil tail that has been in tere for about 3 months now and he is perfectly fine, and remember, you gotta keep that tank very tidy!
See, bettas have a range of personalities they must be watched very closely.

Thanks for the input everyone. I have decided not to get a beta. The tank is a custom 70g tall. I currently have 4 discus, 8 panda Cory's, 1 Adonis pleco. I think I will leave it at that.

Discus is a South American and intolerant of many water conditions. Water for discus must be soft, very warm, low TDS and Conductivity. I don't think Betas can tolerate the temps. In addition to the possible disease vectors, I would avoid this combination. I have a Discus tank with the following:
22 Discus, 8 red eye tetras, 30 Cardinal Tetras, 8 ottos, 3 Green Cories, 4 Albino Cats and 1 Pleco. This is a heavily planted tank, and everyone gets along well (both plants and fish). I won't dare add anything more, and this is a 135 gallon tank. All of my Discus are about palm size, and have plenty of swimming room. I have had this combination for well over a year with few problems.
D

It actually may not be that bad of an idea but there are some issues that could get in the way of this idea. They both like the same temps, they look nothing alike so the betta shouldn't attack him or do anything but flare or anything. Now all bettas are different. Some bettas live perfectly fine with other fish while others kill anything else. I've had both so mix them carefully. You could try introducing the betta seeing how they react and going from there. If it doesn't work out within the first hour or so then just remove him. Now if the tanks too deep the betta cannot go in it. Bettas like shallow tanks so they can easily reach the top for air, if the tanks too tall he'll become worn out, tired and stressed. And I'm no discus expert but I do believe they like tall tanks. Again it may work it may not it depends on a few pretty major factors

Bettas can use their gills too. With enough oxygen in the air, they don't need to swim to the top

Back
Top Bottom